Oregon Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Andress Mission - Jesuit 1888-1960
- Nichols, M. Leona. The Mantle of Elias: The Story of Fathers Blanchet and Demers in Early Oregon. Portland, Ore.: Binfords and Mort, 1941; Digital version, follow link on the catalog at FHL film 372495; digital version at Ancestry ($). An index is at the Oregon State Archives.
The Family History Library collection includes histories of some denominations, such as the Roman Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, and Quakers. The library has few original church records for Oregon.
A guide to help you locate churches and their records is the:
- Directory of Churches and Religious Organizations, State of Oregon Portland, Ore.: Historical Records Survey, 1940; FHL fiche 6051178.
Many denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following addresses:
American Baptist—Samuel Colgate Historical Society
1106 S. Goodman Street
Rochester, NY 14620-2532
Phone: (716) 473-1740
Fax: (716) 473-1740
900 S. Baker
McMinnville, OR 97128-9989
Phone: (503) 434-2262
Fax: (503) 434-2566
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church records for Oregon Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Family History Library Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
Disciples of Christ
Disciples of Christ Historical Society
1101 19th Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212
Phone: (615) 327-1444
Fax: (615) 327-1445
For a history of the Disciples of Christ in Oregon, see:
- Swander, C.F. Making Disciples in Oregon (Church's of Christ in Oregon), VJohnson, 1928. FHL Collection 1573532 Item 5; digital version at Northwest College of the Bible.
United Methodist Archives Center
Drew University Library
36 Madison Avenue
Madison, NJ 07940
Phone: (973) 408-3189
Fax: (973) 408-3909
P.O. Box 127
Madison, NJ 07940
Presbyterian Historical Society
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
Phone: (215) 627-1852
Fax: (215) 627-0509
To locate Presbyterian records, see:
- Inventory of Church Archives of Oregon Presbyterian Churches: 1968 Arrangement with Indexes. n.p.: Historical Records Survey, WPA, 1968; FHL Collection film 899323.
Society of Friends (Quakers)
George Fox College
414 N. Meridian Street
Newberg, OR 97132-2697
Phone: (503) 538-8383
For a history of Oregon Quakers, see:
- Remembering 75 Years of History: Quakers in Oregon. Newberg, Ore.: Barclay Press, 1967. FHL Collection 430055 Item 6
Diocese of Baker
P.O. Box 5999
Bend, OR 97708-5999
Phone: (541) 388-4004
No record information available.
Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
2838 E. Burnside Street
Portland, OR 97214-1895
Phone: (503) 234-5334
Fax: (503) 234-2545
P.O. Box 351
Portland, OR 97214-1895
Harriet Duncan Munnick published a series of abstracted titled Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest. Osborn-Ryan produced cumulative baptism, marriage, and death indexes to Munnick's work:
- Osborn-Ryan, Sharon E. Cumulative Baptism Index to the Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest. n.p.: Oregon Heritage Press, 1999. FHL Collection 979 K22o
- Osborn-Ryan, Sharon E. Cumulative Marriage Index to the Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest. n.p.: Oregon Heritage Press, 1998. FHL Collection 979.5 K22os
- Osborn-Ryan, Sharon E. Cumulative Death Index to the Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest. Portland, Ore.: S. Osborn-Ryan, 1998. FHL Collection 979.5 K22o
Here is a breakdown of the contents of each volume of abstracts:
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; Vancouver, Volumes I & II (1838-1856) and Stellamaris Mission (1848-1860). St. Paul, Ore.: French Prairie Press, 1972. FHL Book 979.786 K2c.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; St. Paul, Oregon, (1839-1898). Portland, Ore.: Binford & Mort, 1979. FHL Book 979.537 K2mh.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; St. Louis Register (1845-1890), Brooks Register (1893-1909). Portland, Ore.: Binford and Mort, 1982. FHL Book 979.537 K2m.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; Oregon City Register (1842-1890), Salem Register (1864-1885), Jacksonville Register (1854-1885). Portland, Ore.: Binford & Mort, 1984. FHL Book 979.5 K2m.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; Roseburg Register & Missions (1853-1911), Portland Register (1852-1871). Portland, Ore.: Binford & Mort, 1986. FHL Book 979.529 K2m.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; Grand Ronde Register (1860-1898). Portland, Ore.: Binford and Mort, 1987. FHL Book 979.538 K2m.
- Munnick, Harriet Duncan. Catholic Church Records of the Pacific Northwest; Missions of St. Ann & St. Rose (1847-1888), Walla Walla and Frenchtown (1859-1872), and Frenchtown (1872-1888). Portland, Ore.: Binford & Mort, 1989. FHL Book 979.5 K2mh.
- O'Hara, Edwin V. Pioneer Catholic History of Oregon. Portland, Ore.: Glass & Prudhomme Company, 1911. FHL Collection 979.5 K2o; digital version at Google Books.
- ↑ Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback