Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Orem Utah Sunset Heights Multi-Stake Family History Center
We serve patrons in the four stake area of Cherry Hill, Lakeview, Sunset Heights and Vineyard. The location is adjacent to Utah Valley University.
• One-on-one assistance
• Free access to subscription websites
• Classes on Family Tree, FamilySearch, subscription websites and various research topics
Center Contacts and Hours Location
- Address: 1260 South 400 West, Orem, Utah
- Ring bell to gain access. Get a parking pass from center for use before 3 pm.
Check out our webpage: http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/
- Monday and Thursday: 10 am to 4 pm
- Tuesday and Wednesday: 10 am to 4 pm and 6:30 pm to 9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 10 am to 1 pm
(Call after 8pm. If no patrons are at center, staff may close the center.)
Group Reservation: Contact or email Directors: Cheryl and Ken Fugal, 801-221-4774, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closed October 31 after 4pm, 2013
- Closed Thanksgiving - Wednesday thru Saturday, November 27- 30,2013
- Closed Christmas and New Years - Monday, December 16 thru Wednesday, January 1, 2014. There will be no classes scheduled at the Sunset Heights Tri-stake Family History Center in the month of December.
- Closed Martin Luther King Day - Monday January 20, 2014
- Closed General Conference - Saturday April 5, 1014
- Closed Memorial Day weekend - Saturday, May 24 and Monday May 26, 2014
- Closed General Conference – Saturday, October 4, 2014
All classes taught at Sunset Heights FHC. Our Focus this year is to teach you how to use the many tools found on FamilySearch.
We offer BASIC HELP any time we ore open in three areas:
- Getting Started with Your Family History
- Using Family Tree
- Using Family Search
Classes are 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 11am and 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7pm.
Family History Writing Class Every Wednesday,1-3 PM
Henry Miles uses a fun approach to writing your family history in “one experience essays.” To prepare for class, attendees should choose one experience to write about and come to class prepared to relate that experience orally. This class will be taught every week, same day and time. You are encouraged to come as many times as you want to gain the skill necessary to create an interesting and readable record of your family’s history. Brother Miles techniques involve a lot of class participation and will make the writing task easier and more efficient. He will help edit your work and aid you into eventually turning them into a book if you desire.
Introduction to FamilySearch Wiki
11 am Tuesday, Nov 5, 2013 - and - 7 pm Thursday, Nov 7, 2013
Introduction to FamilySearch Wiki – This class is for those who already have basic experience in FamilySearch and Family Tree. In this class we will learn the basics about the FamilySearch Research Wiki and how it can help you expand your tools for finding info on places and topics that pertain to your ancestors. Instructor: Rod Cuthbert
FS Research Courses to Learn at Home
WhenTuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 11am
Learn how to find and use the Research Courses in the learning center of FamilySearch, so you can receive expert help in the areas you are researching. Instructor: Barbara Howell.
Photos and Stories -FamilySearch/Family Tree Class
Tuesday, Dec 3, 2013, 11 am - and - Thursday, Dec 5, 2013, 7 pm
FamilySearch - Photos and Stories
Future Class Schedule:
<a href="http://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/">Click here</a> to see our Blog.
Staff Training Meetings
- Second Tuesday evening each month at 7 pm.
- <a href="https://www.familysearch.org/#form=catalog">Family History Library Catalog:</a> This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- <a href="http://fhc.familysearch.org/">FHC Portal:</a> This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Record managment programs: Legacy, Rootsmagic, Ancestral Quest, Family Tree Maker, PAF, FamilyInsight
- Pedigree Resource File discs 1-145
- Microfilms and microfiche
- Scanner and Photoshop software
- Map My family Tree, PAF Companion
- AniMap Software.
- Nauvoo Database
- Mormon Immigration Vital Record Database
- Books to assist research such as: Sources, Red Book, Philmont Parish Register,
Hardware and Equipment
- Microfilm and microfiche reader
- 12 computers with access to familysearch.org portal
- Wireless internet access with plugs and room for tables and access for up to 30 laptops
Staff Research Specialties
Powerpoint presentations for Boy Scout Merit Badge
Classes for Young Women, Merry Miss Groups
FamilySearch Support Specialists
- England/British Isles
- Spanish/Central America
- LDS Research
- U. S. New England, Mid South, Southern
Resources in the Local Area
BYU Family History Regional Center, Orem Library, Utah Valley University.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)