Ottawa County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Ottawa County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Founded:||March 6, 1840|
|County Seat||Port Clinton|
|Address|| Ottawa County Courthouse|
315 Madison St.
Port Clinton, Ohio 43452-1993
Ottawa County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Erie, Lucas, and Sandusky Counties 6 March 1840.
- County Seat: Port Clinton
- Neighboring Counties: Ottawa County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Lucas (north) · Sandusky (south) · Wood (west) · Erie (southeast)
See an interactive map of Ottawa County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Harris-Elmore Union Cemetery (aka) Guss, Union, Elmore
Harrington Cemetery (aka) Old Elmore, Elmore
Rymers Cemetery (aka) Rice, Elmore
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Ottawa County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ottawa County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Ohio Obituary Index includes references to more than 1.5 million death, marriage and obituary notices. What began as a project at the Hayes Presidential Center grew into a partnership with 40 public libraries throughout the state of Ohio. Some of the listings date back as far as 1830. In addition to newspaper obituaries, the index includes entries indexing church records, federal mortality indexes, family papers, etc.
Family History Centers
- Harris-Elmore Public Library
328 Toledo St.
- Ottawa County Genealogical Society (OGS Chapter)
310 Madison St.
They meet at the Ida Rupp Public Library
- Ida Rupp Public Library
310 Madison St.
- Elmore Historical Society
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Ottawa County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More