Over Darwen St James, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St James Over Darwen was a chapel of ease created prior to the year 1687 and lay within the ancient parish boundary of Blackburn. Here is Samuel Lewis' historical 1848 perspective on this township:
DARWEN, OVER, a chapelry,in the parish and union of Blackburn, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 4¼ miles south by east of Blackburn. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, and now a district church, was erected prior to 1687. A second church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1827-8.
There are places of worship for Wesleyans and others.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306892.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..