Overton, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Overton became a town by the granting of a Royal Charter in 1292.
Ecclesiastical references of 1402 show that Overton was a chapelry of the parish of Bangor is y Coed. This parish was in the English diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created English diocese of Chester. In 1849 it was transferred to the Welsh diocese of St. Asaph.
The parish church of St. Mary's was built in the late 14th century but has seen much re-building.
On 20 December 1867, Overton became a separate parish, consisting of the townships of:
- Overton Foreign
- Overton Villa
|1284 - 31 March 1974||Flintshire (detached)|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Overton formed part of the Ellesmere Registrar's District.
The following Overton Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Record Office in Hawarden:
|Baptisms||1602 - 1859|
|Marriages:||1602 - 1934|
|Burials||1602 - 1957|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published many of the Overton parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Overton parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
There are no official records available on the IGI for Overton parish.
The parish of Overton formed part of the Overton sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Overton will appear as Ellesmere in the GRO Indexes.
Poor Law Union
The parish of Overton became part of the Ellesmere Union when it was created on 14 November 1836. The workhouse was built in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
- Ordnance Survey map of Overton
- Overton Parish Church at CPAT
- Overton War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Overton Parish Church at clwyd FHS
- Overton Parish Church at the Open Church Network