Oxford County, Maine GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Oxford County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
Location of Maine in the U.S.
|Founded||March 4, 1805|
|County Seat||South Paris|
|Address|| Oxford County Courthouse|
26 Western Ave
PO Box 179
South Paris, ME 04281
Oxford County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage and death records.
Clerk Courts has marriage records1877-1897, divorce and court records from 1930, probate and land records from 1805. 
- 2 counties were created over the years:
Places / Localities
Unorganized territories. For further details see Maine townships.
- North Oxford
- TA R1 Riley Township
- TA R2 Grafton Township
- Andover North Surplus
- Andover West Surplus
- Township C
- C Surplus
- T4 R1 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Richardsontown Township)
- T4 R2 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Adamstown Township)
- T4 R3 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Lower Cupsuptic Township)
- T5 R3 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Parkertown Township)
- T4 R4 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Upper Cupsuptic Township)
- T5 R4 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Lynchtown Township)
- T4 R5 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Oxbow Township)
- T5 R5 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Parmachenee Township)
- T4 R6 West of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase (Bowmantown Township)
- South Oxford
- Batchelders Grant
- Mason Township
- Albany Township
Villages • Dickvale • North Waterford • Waterford Flat
Extinct or unincorporated towns • Albany • Franklin Plantation • Mason • Milton
Hatcher, Patricia Law. "My Ancestor Isn't In the Census: The 9,603 Missing Oxford County Residents In 1810," Maine Genealogist, May 1998, 65-68. Available at FHL Article includes a chart of the towns missing from the census.
Maine Newspaper Archive. Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Oxford County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Oxford County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Oxford County
- Oxford County Genealogy Notebook
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oxford County, Maine page 305, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 107. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News