Page County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Virginia county in the Shenandoah Valley region.
The county is named after Virginia Governor John Page (1744-1808).
- Lost census: 1890
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia: A Genealogical Guide. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
- Kelley, Teresa. "Paging Through the Past at the Page Public Library, Luray, Page County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jun. 1999):1-2. Available at FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Ellsberry, Elizabeth Prather, comp. Cemetery Records of Page County, Virginia, Volume I, Luray Cemetery. Chillicothe, MO, USA: Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, c1965. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Tombstone Transcription Project Page County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
1890 Union Veterans' Census
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes this county.]
- Braun, Johannes, Klaus Wust and Joseph H. Meyerhoeffer. Shenandoah Valley Family Data, 1799-1813: From the Memorandum Book of Pastor Johannes Braun. Edinburg, Va.: Shenandoah History Publishers, 1978. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 K2bjo.
Indexes and images to Page County, Virginia Chancery Records 1831-1914 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, which were often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Good] Good, William Algernon. Shadowed by the Massanutten: A History of Life Along Smith Creek, the Good Family Genealogy, and Civil War Notes. Broadway, Va.: W.A. Good, 1992. FHL Collection 975.59 H2g
- [Lampton] Keith, Clayton. Sketch of the Lampton Family in America, 1740-1914. Louisiana, Mo.: C. Keith, 1914. FHL Collection 1321273 Item 10; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Mauck] Mauck Family Bible of Robert P. Mauck Born 1742, Died 1903 Gallia, Ohio; Page & Shenandoah Counties Virginia; Also Includes Ruffner of Page County Va., Rothgeb of Page County Va. MSS. FHL Collection CD-ROM no. 1293
- [Miller] Campbell, Judith A. The Miller Family of Page County, Virginia, Descendants of Anna Mary Miller Printz, Katherine Miller Shaffer, Frances Miller Printz, Henry H. Miller, Philip Miller & John Miller Jr. Rileyville, Va.: J.A. Campbell, 1994. FHL Collection 929.273 M612cj; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Page County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Pritchett] Pritchett, David L. Samuel Pritchett, b. abt 1772, of Shenandoah, Page Co., Va. MSS., microfilmed 1976. FHL Collection 928176 Item 31
- [Ruffner] Mauck Family Bible of Robert P. Mauck Born 1742, Died 1903 Gallia, Ohio; Page & Shenandoah Counties Virginia; Also Includes Ruffner of Page County Va., Rothgeb of Page County Va. MSS. FHL Collection CD-ROM no. 1293
- [Rothgeb] Mauck Family Bible of Robert P. Mauck Born 1742, Died 1903 Gallia, Ohio; Page & Shenandoah Counties Virginia; Also Includes Ruffner of Page County Va., Rothgeb of Page County Va. MSS. FHL Collection CD-ROM no. 1293
- [Sours] Campbell, Judith A. The Sours Family of Page County, Virginia: Descendants of Frederick and Balser Sours. Rileyville, Va.: J.A. Campbell, 1995. FHL Collection 929.273 So84s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- Massanutten Area Atlas. Original records, Shenandoah County Archives, Woodstock, Va. Microfilmed reproduction available at FHL. [This is a bound book of hand drawn maps showing property boundaries for grant map, ca. 1748-1915. It covers parts of Shenandoah, Warren and Page counties.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Page County on pages 135-136.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Orange County, p. 97. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Luray silversmiths.]
-  "Augusta County Tithables, 1777," Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 42 Iss. 4 (Nov. 2004):307-310. Available at FHL. [Covers area of present-day eastern Rockingham and Page counties.]
-  Free Negroes and Mulattoes, within County, over 12 Years of Age, 1855, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Spring 2004. Vol. 15 Iss. 2.
-  Free Negroes and Mulattoes, Modesitt District, with Ages, 1856, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Spring 2004. Vol. 15 Iss. 2.
-  Free Negroes over 12, 1858, Mountain Memories. Luray VA: Winter 2001. Vol. 12 Iss. 1.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News