Pendleton All Saints, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(internal link)
m (Text replace - "Lewis, Samuel A." to "Samuel A. Lewis")
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Parish History ==
 
== Parish History ==
  
PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of [[Whalley,_Lancashire|Whalley]], union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe containing the hamlet of Sabden. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A '''church''', a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for '''Baptists''' and '''Presbyterians''', the latter an ancient building; and a national school.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208#s9 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 545-549.</ref>  
+
PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of [[Whalley,_Lancashire|Whalley]], union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe containing the hamlet of Sabden. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A '''church''', a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for '''Baptists''' and '''Presbyterians''', the latter an ancient building; and a national school.<ref>Samuel A. Lewis, ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208#s9 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 545-549.</ref>  
  
 
== References  ==
 
== References  ==

Revision as of 03:53, 10 April 2014

Return to the Lancashire Parishes page.

Parish History

PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe containing the hamlet of Sabden. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A church, a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, the latter an ancient building; and a national school.[1]

References

  1. Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 545-549.