Pendleton All Saints, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Lancashire Parishes page.
PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe containing the hamlet of Sabden. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A church, a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, the latter an ancient building; and a national school.