Pendleton St Thomas (Salford), Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 11,032 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Pen-hulton, was held by the Hultons, of Hulton, at first under the earls Ferrers, but afterwards in chief of the king. The lands have been subsequently in the possession of various families. The chapelry is situated on the Irwell, and at the junction of the Liverpool and Bolton roads to Manchester: the Bolton and Bury canal, and the Manchester and Liverpool, and Manchester and Bolton railways, also pass through it. In 1780 the village was little more than a cluster of cottages, with its maypole and its green; it is now an opulent and extensive suburb of Salford, abounds in mansions, and contains large cotton-mills, and dyeing, printing, and bleaching establishments, affording, with handicraft trades, and collieries, employment to its large population. A small library was established in 1829, and a dispensary in 1831. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Eccles; net income, £344. The chapel, rebuilt at the joint expense of the inhabitants and the Parliamentary Commissioners, was consecrated in October, 1831. It is a conspicuous and ornamented structure in the pointed style, and contains 1520 pew-sittings, of which 700 are free, exclusively of several hundred free seats on forms: in front of the altar is a splendid picture by Paul Veronese, representing the Taking Down of Christ from the Cross, liberally presented by John Greaves, Esq., of Pendleton. The cost of the re-erection of the chapel was £7505. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. Hylewood, an oblong hillock in the chapelry, was supposed to exhibit marks of a Roman camp; but subsequent examination, in digging the foundation of Hylewood Tower, has shown that this eminence consists merely of the red rocky sandstone of the district.
+
PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe; containing, with the hamlet of Sabden, 1469 inhabitants. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. At the Conquest it passed to the Lacys, from whom it was inherited by the house of Lancaster. Henry, "the Good Duke," gave some possessions here to the monks of Whalley, to support two recluses and their women servants in a hermitage. The Clyderows had lands in Pendleton; and in the 10th of Henry V., Sir Henry Hoghton is recorded to have levied a fine on the manor, having married the daughter of Richard Radcliffe, who inherited from the Clyderows. Charles Aspinall, with whose family the Hoghtons intermarried in the reign of Elizabeth, died seised of lands in Pendleton, 17th Charles I. The township is large, stretching along Pendle Hill, which rises 1803 feet above the level of the sea and commands a most extensive prospect: in a deep dale is the thriving village of Sabden. About 1000 of the population are employed in calico-printing. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A church, a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, the latter an ancient building; and a national school, endowed with £12 per annum.  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 21 October 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 21:19, 21 October 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

PENDLETON, a township, in the parish of Whalley, union and parliamentary borough of Clitheroe, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Clitheroe; containing, with the hamlet of Sabden, 1469 inhabitants. "Peniltune" is found in the Domesday survey, from which it appears that Edward the Confessor held half a hide of land here. At the Conquest it passed to the Lacys, from whom it was inherited by the house of Lancaster. Henry, "the Good Duke," gave some possessions here to the monks of Whalley, to support two recluses and their women servants in a hermitage. The Clyderows had lands in Pendleton; and in the 10th of Henry V., Sir Henry Hoghton is recorded to have levied a fine on the manor, having married the daughter of Richard Radcliffe, who inherited from the Clyderows. Charles Aspinall, with whose family the Hoghtons intermarried in the reign of Elizabeth, died seised of lands in Pendleton, 17th Charles I. The township is large, stretching along Pendle Hill, which rises 1803 feet above the level of the sea and commands a most extensive prospect: in a deep dale is the thriving village of Sabden. About 1000 of the population are employed in calico-printing. The Clitheroe and Blackburn road passes through the township. A church, a chaste and beautiful structure in the pointed style, built at the sole expense of Mrs. Blegborough, late Miss Aspinall, was consecrated in 1847; it stands at the upper end of the village of Pendleton, and attracts deserved admiration for the elegance of its architecture. There are places of worship for Baptists and Presbyterians, the latter an ancient building; and a national school, endowed with £12 per annum.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 21 October 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.