Pendleton St Thomas (Salford), Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - 'Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in th)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Pendleton St Thomas (Salford) was created a chapel of ease by 1767 from, and lying within the boundaries of [[Eccles, Lancashire|Eccles]] Ancient Parish. <br>  
+
Pendleton St Thomas (Salford) was created a chapel of ease by 1767 from, and lying within the boundaries of [[Eccles, Lancashire|Eccles]] Ancient Parish. <br>
  
It was founded in 1767 as a chapel of ease, but on the site of St Ann's. The chapel was built in 1773. The building was used as a church until 1829, by this time the population in the area had quadrupled to around 8,000 when a newer bigger church was required. St Thomas' church replaced the chapel and it was opened in 1831. <br>  
+
It was founded in 1767 as a chapel of ease, but on the site of St Ann's. The chapel was built in 1773. The building was used as a church until 1829, by this time the population in the area had quadrupled to around 8,000 when a newer bigger church was required. St Thomas' church replaced the chapel and it was opened in 1831. <br>
  
The current church was built in 1829–31 to the design of Francis Goodwin and Richard Lane.<br>  
+
The current church was built in 1829–31 to the design of Francis Goodwin and Richard Lane.<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
Here is an1848 historical perspective on Pendleton St Thomas, by the topographer, Samuel&nbsp;A. Lewis:<br>  
+
Here is an1848 historical perspective on Pendleton St Thomas, by the topographer, Samuel&nbsp;A. Lewis:<br>
  
"PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 11,032 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Pen-hulton, was held by the Hultons, of Hulton, at first under the earls Ferrers, but afterwards in chief of the king. The lands have been subsequently in the possession of various families. The chapelry is situated on the Irwell, and at the junction of the Liverpool and Bolton roads to Manchester: the Bolton and Bury canal, and the Manchester and Liverpool, and Manchester and Bolton railways, also pass through it. In 1780 the village was little more than a cluster of cottages, with its maypole and its green; it is now an opulent and extensive suburb of Salford, abounds in mansions, and contains large cotton-mills, and dyeing, printing, and bleaching establishments, affording, with handicraft trades, and collieries, employment to its large population. A small library was established in 1829, and a dispensary in 1831. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Eccles; net income, £344. The chapel, rebuilt at the joint expense of the inhabitants and the Parliamentary Commissioners, was consecrated in October, 1831. It is a conspicuous and ornamented structure in the pointed style, and contains 1520 pew-sittings, of which 700 are free, exclusively of several hundred free seats on forms: in front of the altar is a splendid picture by Paul Veronese, representing the Taking Down of Christ from the Cross, liberally presented by John Greaves, Esq., of Pendleton. The cost of the re-erection of the chapel was £7505. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. Hylewood, an oblong hillock in the chapelry, was supposed to exhibit marks of a Roman camp; but subsequent examination, in digging the foundation of Hylewood Tower, has shown that this eminence consists merely of the red rocky sandstone of the district."<br>
+
"PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester. The main chapel, was built and in operation by the year 1776.
 +
 
 +
There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion."
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 01:23, 14 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Pendleton St Thomas

Contents

Chapelry History

Pendleton St Thomas (Salford) was created a chapel of ease by 1767 from, and lying within the boundaries of Eccles Ancient Parish.

It was founded in 1767 as a chapel of ease, but on the site of St Ann's. The chapel was built in 1773. The building was used as a church until 1829, by this time the population in the area had quadrupled to around 8,000 when a newer bigger church was required. St Thomas' church replaced the chapel and it was opened in 1831.

The current church was built in 1829–31 to the design of Francis Goodwin and Richard Lane.


Here is an1848 historical perspective on Pendleton St Thomas, by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:

"PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester. The main chapel, was built and in operation by the year 1776.

There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion."

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Parish registers for St. Thomas' Church, Pendleton near Salford, 1776-1836

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1776-1836.
FHL BRITISH Film
223708

Bishop's transcripts for Pendleton, 1813-1820 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
St. Thomas in Pendleton is a chapelry in the parish of Eccles.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/108a

Content
Film
Baptisms and burials, 1813-1820
FHL BRITISH Film
1545555 Item 2

Pendleton- St Thomas
Baptisms-1776-1780- MFPR 139 or 2237
Baptisms-1780-1787- MFPR 139
Baptisms-1776-1856- MFPR 139 or 2237-2240
Baptisms-1856-1858- MFPR 1612
Baptisms-1858-1862- MFPR 1612 or 2241
Baptisms-1862-1910- MFPR 1612-1613
Baptisms-1910-1969- MFPR 1614
Baptisms-1970-1990-MFPR 1237
Burials-1776-1860- MFPR 139
Burials-1860-1968- MFPR 1621
Marriages-1839-1894- MFPR 1615
Marriages-1894-1908- MFPR 1616
Marriages-1908-1922- MFPR 1617
Marriages-1922-1939- MFPR 1618
Marriages-1939-1950- MFPR 1619
Marriages-1950-1970- MFPR 1620
Marriages-1970-1991- Archives L186

The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: archiveslocalstudies@manchester.gov.uk

The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Salford, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41443British History Online