Pendleton St Thomas (Salford), Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pendleton St Thomas (Salford) was created a chapel of ease by 1767 from, and lying within the boundaries of Eccles Ancient Parish.
It was founded in 1767 as a chapel of ease, but on the site of St Ann's. The chapel was built in 1773. The building was used as a church until 1829, by this time the population in the area had quadrupled to around 8,000 when a newer bigger church was required. St Thomas' church replaced the chapel and it was opened in 1831.
The current church was built in 1829–31 to the design of Francis Goodwin and Richard Lane.
Here is an1848 historical perspective on Pendleton St Thomas, by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:
"PENDLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccles, borough, union, and hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Manchester; containing 11,032 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Pen-hulton, was held by the Hultons, of Hulton, at first under the earls Ferrers, but afterwards in chief of the king. The lands have been subsequently in the possession of various families. The chapelry is situated on the Irwell, and at the junction of the Liverpool and Bolton roads to Manchester: the Bolton and Bury canal, and the Manchester and Liverpool, and Manchester and Bolton railways, also pass through it. In 1780 the village was little more than a cluster of cottages, with its maypole and its green; it is now an opulent and extensive suburb of Salford, abounds in mansions, and contains large cotton-mills, and dyeing, printing, and bleaching establishments, affording, with handicraft trades, and collieries, employment to its large population. A small library was established in 1829, and a dispensary in 1831. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Eccles; net income, £344. The chapel, rebuilt at the joint expense of the inhabitants and the Parliamentary Commissioners, was consecrated in October, 1831. It is a conspicuous and ornamented structure in the pointed style, and contains 1520 pew-sittings, of which 700 are free, exclusively of several hundred free seats on forms: in front of the altar is a splendid picture by Paul Veronese, representing the Taking Down of Christ from the Cross, liberally presented by John Greaves, Esq., of Pendleton. The cost of the re-erection of the chapel was £7505. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion. Hylewood, an oblong hillock in the chapelry, was supposed to exhibit marks of a Roman camp; but subsequent examination, in digging the foundation of Hylewood Tower, has shown that this eminence consists merely of the red rocky sandstone of the district."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Parish registers for St. Thomas' Church, Pendleton near Salford, 1776-1836
| Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1776-1836.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
Bishop's transcripts for Pendleton, 1813-1820 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
St. Thomas in Pendleton is a chapelry in the parish of Eccles.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/108a
| Baptisms and burials, 1813-1820
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1545555 Item 2
Pendleton- St Thomas
Baptisms-1776-1780- MFPR 139 or 2237
Baptisms-1780-1787- MFPR 139
Baptisms-1776-1856- MFPR 139 or 2237-2240
Baptisms-1856-1858- MFPR 1612
Baptisms-1858-1862- MFPR 1612 or 2241
Baptisms-1862-1910- MFPR 1612-1613
Baptisms-1910-1969- MFPR 1614
Burials-1776-1860- MFPR 139
Burials-1860-1968- MFPR 1621
Marriages-1839-1894- MFPR 1615
Marriages-1894-1908- MFPR 1616
Marriages-1908-1922- MFPR 1617
Marriages-1922-1939- MFPR 1618
Marriages-1939-1950- MFPR 1619
Marriages-1950-1970- MFPR 1620
Marriages-1970-1991- Archives L186
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.