Pennington, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - ' Domesday Book ' to ' Domesday Book ')
m (Text replace - ' Domesday book ' to ' Domesday Book ')
Line 15: Line 15:
 
Here is an 1848 historical perspective for Pennington by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:<br>  
 
Here is an 1848 historical perspective for Pennington by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:<br>  
  
"PENNINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Ulverston; containing 388 inhabitants. This place, which in Domesday book is styled "Pennigetun," belonged to a local family, one of whom, Gamel de Pennington, was a very considerable person at the time of the Conquest. From him descended Sir John Pennington, who commanded the left wing of the army in an expedition into Scotland under the Earl of Northumberland; Sir John was much attached to Henry VI., and gave him a secret asylum at Muncaster (the family seat in Cumberland), for some time, in his flight from his enemies. The grandson of this knight distinguished himself at the battle of Flodden; and was ancestor of William Pennington, who was created a baronet in June 1676: the fifth baronet of the family was elevated to the peerage in 1783, by the title of Baron Muncaster. This is one of the smallest parishes in the county, and contains fewer streams than any parish in North Lonsdale; the waters are small rills, and for the most part nameless. The area is 1632a. 2r., of ancient inclosure, and 1122 acres of common inclosed by an act obtained in 1821: most of the cultivated land is arable; about onefourth only consists of pasture. Iron-ore and blue slate abound. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £150; impropriator, the Arabic Professor in the university of Oxford. The church is an edifice of modern style, devoid of ornament, erected by subscription in 1826, at a cost of about £550, of which George IV. contributed £50, and the Incorporated Society £100."  
+
"PENNINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Ulverston; containing 388 inhabitants. This place, which in [[Domesday Book]] is styled "Pennigetun," belonged to a local family, one of whom, Gamel de Pennington, was a very considerable person at the time of the Conquest. From him descended Sir John Pennington, who commanded the left wing of the army in an expedition into Scotland under the Earl of Northumberland; Sir John was much attached to Henry VI., and gave him a secret asylum at Muncaster (the family seat in Cumberland), for some time, in his flight from his enemies. The grandson of this knight distinguished himself at the battle of Flodden; and was ancestor of William Pennington, who was created a baronet in June 1676: the fifth baronet of the family was elevated to the peerage in 1783, by the title of Baron Muncaster. This is one of the smallest parishes in the county, and contains fewer streams than any parish in North Lonsdale; the waters are small rills, and for the most part nameless. The area is 1632a. 2r., of ancient inclosure, and 1122 acres of common inclosed by an act obtained in 1821: most of the cultivated land is arable; about onefourth only consists of pasture. Iron-ore and blue slate abound. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £150; impropriator, the Arabic Professor in the university of Oxford. The church is an edifice of modern style, devoid of ornament, erected by subscription in 1826, at a cost of about £550, of which George IV. contributed £50, and the Incorporated Society £100."  
  
 
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
 
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.

Revision as of 14:04, 22 October 2011

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Pennington St Michael contributor Alexander P Kapp

Contents

Parish History

Pennington St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.

Pennington, since 1974 in Cumbria is a small village/hamlet in Furness, a region of Cumbria. Pennington lies in between Ulverston and Lindal.

There are a set of stocks outside the Church gate that were used to punish offenders and there are runic inscriptions within the churchyard. Pennington is mentioned in the Domesday Book as one of the townships forming the Manor of Hougun held by Earl Tostig.

The modern parish in the Diocese of Carlisle.

Here is an 1848 historical perspective for Pennington by the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis:

"PENNINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from Ulverston; containing 388 inhabitants. This place, which in Domesday Book is styled "Pennigetun," belonged to a local family, one of whom, Gamel de Pennington, was a very considerable person at the time of the Conquest. From him descended Sir John Pennington, who commanded the left wing of the army in an expedition into Scotland under the Earl of Northumberland; Sir John was much attached to Henry VI., and gave him a secret asylum at Muncaster (the family seat in Cumberland), for some time, in his flight from his enemies. The grandson of this knight distinguished himself at the battle of Flodden; and was ancestor of William Pennington, who was created a baronet in June 1676: the fifth baronet of the family was elevated to the peerage in 1783, by the title of Baron Muncaster. This is one of the smallest parishes in the county, and contains fewer streams than any parish in North Lonsdale; the waters are small rills, and for the most part nameless. The area is 1632a. 2r., of ancient inclosure, and 1122 acres of common inclosed by an act obtained in 1821: most of the cultivated land is arable; about onefourth only consists of pasture. Iron-ore and blue slate abound. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Crown in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £150; impropriator, the Arabic Professor in the university of Oxford. The church is an edifice of modern style, devoid of ornament, erected by subscription in 1826, at a cost of about £550, of which George IV. contributed £50, and the Incorporated Society £100."

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 545-549. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51208 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.