Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
This collection will include records from 1866-1956.
These records contain membership records of the Pennsylvania Department Grand Army of the Republic. An organization of Union army and navy veterans of the Civil War. The collection consists of registers, lists, minute, account and descriptive books of local post (chapters) The descriptive books include town of residence, military unit, date of enlistment, date of discharge, age and birthplace.
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
These records generally contain the following information:
- Member's name
- Enlistment date
- Discharge date
- Organization served in
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Name of the soldier
- Other identifying information such as birthplace or organization where served
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the 'Box number' category which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the name, enlistment date and organization to find the soldier’s military records.
- Use the name and residence to find the soldier’s family in census, church, and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the records to identify other relatives who may have served in the same unit or a nearby unit.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Search the records of nearby military units.
- You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- If you are unable to find your ancestor look for variant spellings of the surnames. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Pennsylvania, Military Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Pennsylvania Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Pennsylvania Genealogy.|
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1866-1956.” Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg.
|The citation for an image will be available on each image once the collection is published.|
- This page was last modified on 30 June 2015, at 22:50.
- This page has been accessed 1,854 times.