Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births,1860-1906 .
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906 collection is available for online viewing only to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These records are available on microfilms which may be ordered to your nearest FamilySearch Center for viewing. Please go to the following website for information: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche
This Collection will include records from 1860 to 1906.
This collection is a name index and images of birth registers from the Board of Health in the city of Philadelphia. It includes birth returns filed by physicians, midwives and area hospitals or other facilities.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births,1860-1906." Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Board of Health. Department of Records.
The key genealogical facts found in the Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births collection may contain the following information:
- Date of Registration in City of Philadelphia
- Date of birth
- Name of child
- Place of birth (ward number and street address)
- Names of parents
- Occupation of father
- Name of physician and their residence
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
Search the Collection
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. Look at the list of entries created by your search. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Make a photocopy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the names and relationships as a basis for compiling family groups.
- Use the names, date, and residence or place to locate the individual or family in the census.
- Use the names and places to locate additional records about the individual or family such as church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- If the record is a birth record look for records of the parents.
If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, try the following:
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the records of neighboring counties.
- Search for an index. Local historical and genealogical societies often have indexes to local records.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
- "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906," index, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 16 Nov 2012), entry for James McCracken, born 18 Oct 1880; citing book 1880, pg 78, FHL microfilm number 1289320; Board of Health, City of Philadelphia. Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births. Board of Health, City of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback