Pennsylvania Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Document 114052, How to use Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
Question #1: Does Allegheny > Estate index 1788-1971 surname L, first names A-J have missing sections?
Answer #1: The browse point Allegheny > Estate index 1788-1971 surname L, first names A-J does not have missing sections; the sections are out of order:
- Image 6: Table to Locate Names
- Images 7-197: Section 110-560
- Images 200-277: Sections 2000-2033
- Images 285-440: Sections 610-930
- Images 445- 538: Sections 2034-2078
Question #2: Blair > Wills 1846-1868 vol A-B appears to be an index. Where can the records be found?
Answer #2: The browse point Blair > Wills 1846-1868 vol A-B is actually the browse point Will and letter index 1846-1980 U-Z; and the browse point Blair > Will and letter index 1846-1980 U-Z is actually the browse point Blair > Wills 1846-1868 vol A-B. The two browse points are transposed.
Question #3: Where can I find the records for Bucks > Orphans' Court records 1853-1856 vol 13?
Answer #3: Bucks > Orphans' Court records 1853-1856 vol 13 is not available online or on microfilm.
Question #4: There seems to be a discrepancy between the index and the records at the browse point Lebanon>Orphans' Court dockets 1841-1848 vol E. Can you explain this?
Answer #4: We do not know the cause of this discrepancy, but it appears to have been there at the time of filming. The Catalog makes the following note for the film: Film 21501 - Each volume has an index; however, the index to volume E does not match the volume.
Question #5: I am trying to locate records that should be in the Luzerne > Continuance docket index 1875-1891 A-Z waypoint. The records there seem to be in error. Can you help me?
Answer #5: In Luzerne county, the link listed as the Continuance docket index 1875-1891 A-Z actually goes to the Orphans' Court record index 1778-1874 waypoint, and the link to the Orphans Court record index 1778-1874 is actually linked to the Continuance docket index 1875-1891 A-Z. The records linked have been switched in these two waypoints.
Question #6: Are there more than Probate Records in Northampton County?
Answer #6: Land Records have been located in the Northampton County browse point as well as Probate Records. The following browse points are Land Records:
- Surveys, v. 25-28
- Surveys, v. 29-32
- Surveys, v. 33-37
- Surveys, v. 38-40
- Surveys, v. 41-43
- Surveys, v. 44-47
- Surveys, v. 48-50
- Surveys, v. 51-53
- Surveys, v. 54-56
- Warrants 1734-1769
- Warrants 1769-1785
- Warrants 1785-1786
- Warrants 1786-1792
- Warrants 1792-1793
- Warrants 1793-1879
- Warrants & surveys, v. 57-58 21701
Question #7: Westmoreland appears to be missing records. Where can these records be found?
Answer #7: Two browse points are missing from Westmoreland because the microfilm 1316409 is not digitized:
- Westmoreland > Register's and Orphans' Court record index no date W-Z would originate from Items 1-2: General index W, given names S(continued)-Z General index XYZ, given names A-Z , and
- Westmoreland > Will index v. 1-2 1772-1918; Wills 1773-1819 v. 1 would originate from Item 3-5: Will index v. 1-2 1772-1918 and Wills 1773-1819 v. 1.
Question #8: If pages are missing in a browse point, are they available to be viewed somewhere else?
Answer #8: These pages are not available; possibly they were lost prior to filming the records.
- Greene County > Wills 1875-1892 Vol 5-6. Pages 234 and 235
- York > Wills 1818-1833 vol O-Q is missing Pages 1 through 41 of book P.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 > Blair > Wills 1846-1868 vol A-B > Image 7 of 117.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Pennsylvania Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 collection at FamilySearch.org.