Pennsylvania in the Revolutionary WarEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pennsylvania Military Units
Most units were numbered. Some were named. See the list below for links to more detailed information.
Pennsylvania regiments typically consisted of # companies recruited from specific areas of Pennsylvania.
County and Townships
To determine the counties and townships that made up each of the military units, visit the Pennsylvania Achives website. Click on the county your ancestor was from.
- 1st Pennsylvania Regiment
- 2nd Pennsylvania Regiment
- 3rd Pennsylvania Regiment
- 4th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 5th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 6th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 7th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 8th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 9th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 10th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 11th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 12th Pennsylvania Regiment
- 13th Pennsylvania Regiment
Battles Fought in Pennsylvania
The Family History Library and the National Archives have the:
Regimental rosters with biographical information of Pennsylvania soldiers are published in:
Committees of Safety
Guides to Military Units
For guidebooks to Pennsylvania's military units for the Revolutionary War, the following sources are helpful:
- Lynn, John W. Pennsylvania Lineages of Revolutionary War Regiments. Grand Junction, Colo.: Lynn Research, 1986. FHL Book 974.8 A1 no. 235.
- Trussell, John B.B. and Charles C. Dallas. The Pennsylvania Line; Regimental Organization and Operations, 1776-1783. Harrisburg, Pa.: Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, 1977. Digital version at Family History Archive.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback