Penycae, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The village of Penycae was part of the ancient parish of Ruabon and the district was known as Dinhinlle Uchaf (but also known as Y Dref Fechan or Cristionydd Fechan at various times).
The new ecclesiastical parish of Penycae was formed 1879, from parts of the existing parishes of Ruabon, Rhosllannerchrugog and Rhosymedre. The parish church of St. Thomas had been consecrated in 1878. However, most of the population of the parish were nonconformists and attended the Baptist chapels of Salem and Sion in Groes; the Calvinistic Methodist chapels in Groes and Tainant; the Wesleyan Methodist chapel of Soar in Stryt Isa; or the Primitive Methodist chapel in Copperas.
Coal was extracted from pits at Plas Bennion, Wynn Hall, Afon Eitha, Cristionydd, Groes and Plas Isaf and zinc was worked at Copperas.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Penycae, in Dinhinlle Uchaf, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2502 folios 2311-264 & 331-333|
|1861||RG9/4282 folios 31-63 & 74-83|
|1871||RG10/5653 folios 1-30 & 55-75|
|1881||RG11/5512 folios 74-75|
|1891||RG12/4613 folios 16-64|
- The following Penycae Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1880 - 1919|
|Marriages:||1880 - 1971|
|Burials||1881 - 1952|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published one volume of the Penycae parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Penycae parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following chapel records from Penycae are available on the IGI:
|Salem Particular Baptist, Penycae||1789-1837||C101901|
The Clwyd Family History Society have published the following records:
|Salem Particular Baptist, Penycae||Burials|
|Groes Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Penycae||Burial Records & Monumental Inscriptions|
The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Penycae will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Ruabon||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
- St Thomas Parish Church
- Salem Baptist Chapel
- Groes Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Poor Law Union
Penycae formed part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
- Dennis W Gilpin, "Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Penycae, a collection of pictures - Volume I" (1991)
- Dennis W Gilpin, "Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Penycae, a collection of pictures - Volume II" (1992)
- Colin Gibbs, "Clatter of Clogs" (1990)
- Ordnance Survey map of Penycae
- Penycae Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Penycae War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- St Thomas' Church web site