Personal Name Changes in the United StatesEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 21:34, 14 December 2007 by Auto import (Talk)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Information about finding people in the United States who have changed their names.

Federal law allows aliens applying for naturalization to request a free name change upon the grant of citizenship. Some immigrants use this opportunity to obtain a name that sounds more American. Modern Application for Naturalization forms ask whether the person applying for naturalization would like to legally change his or her name. The name change becomes final when citizenship is granted.

For more details, see the Wikipedia article Name Change.


Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.

Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).