Peru, Lambayeque Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Peru, Lambayeque, Civil Registration, 1873-1998 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Registro Civil de Lambayeque, Peru
This Collection will include records from 1873 to 1998.
This collection consists of digital images of original civil registration records of births, marriages, and deaths from the department of Lambayeque in Peru.
The registration of births, marriages, and deaths in Peru documents the civil status of the residents.
Earlier records are all handwritten in a narrative format. The later records are also handwritten but on a printed format. Some of their text may also vary slightly.
Before the government instituted civil registration in Peru, the Catholic Church was the only institution tracking the births, marriages, and deaths of the population. In 1852, during the Republican Era, the government instituted civil registration. This was first done by political authorities, such as prefecture, subprefecture, and state. In 1856, this responsibility was given to municipalities. Currently, civil registration is in the hands of RENIEC, which delegates the registration process to municipal registrars.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Lambayeque Civil Registration. Civil Registry. Archivo Regional de Lambayeque, Chiclayo.
Important genealogical information found in birth records include:
- Date and place of registration
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Father's name, age, occupation and origin
- Mother's maiden name, age, occupation and origin
Important genealogical information found in marriage records include:
- Date and place of the registration
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's occupation, origin and residence
- Names of groom's parents, their origin and residence
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's origin and residence
- Names of bride's parents, their origin and residence
- Names of witnesses, their age(s), civil status and residence
Important genealogical information found in death records include:
- Time, date, and place of registration
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Race, civil status, and occupation of deceased
- Nationality and origin of deceased
- Parents' names
- Declarant's name, age, civil status, occupation, origin and residence
- Names of witnesses, their age(s), origin and residence
How to Use the Record
To search this collection select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the Departamento o región where your ancestors lived
⇒Select the appropriate Provincia
⇒Select the appropriate Distrito o municipalidad
⇒Select the proper record type and dates, and you should see images of the records.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For genealogical research, the birth, marriage, and death records contain important information for at least two and sometimes three generations of ancestors in one document.
When browsing this collection it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred
- The name and surname of the person
- The approximate date of the event
- The name of the parents or spouse
If you do not find your ancestors in this collection, try looking in the Peru Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) wiki article.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"Peru, Lambayeque, Civil Registration, 1875-1998," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org : accessed 21 June 2012), Lambayeque > Lambayeque > Defunciones 1899 mayo-1908 jun > image 117 of 360, Maria Flores Rivadeneysa, died on 12 April 1904, age 22, citing Lambayeque Civil Registration. Civil Registry. Archivo Regional de Lambayeque, Chiclayo.</gallery>