Photoduplication ServicesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Photoduplication is a service provided to FamilySearch patrons who would like copies of records or pages in books that can be found in the FamilySearch Library, but not elsewhere. Read through this page before making a request; the form is at the bottom of the page.
Because of the high demand for these services, before making a request, be sure that you:
- do not have access to a local FamilySearch Center
- require access to records which:
- Are not available at their local FamilySearch Center
- Cannot be found online at familysearch.org or at books.familysearch.org
- Cannot be found at a local library.
Family History Library staff will consider the above criteria prior to fulfilling requests.
What Photoduplication CANNOT do:
- Copy entire works.
- For copyrighted materials photoduplication can only provide copies of 10 pages or 10% whichever is LESS.
- Search a film or book to see if your ancestor is on it.
- The photoduplication department can only accept requests which have already been researched. Enough information must be included in the request so that photoduplication can go directly to the page or certificate being requested.
- If you are uncertain which page to order you may request copies of select pages from the index of a record. You can use this index to place a second order requesting the specific pages you need.
- Make copies of maps.
- Make copies of films or books which are available online.
- This includes films or books which are viewable at a local FamilySearch Center.
- Use links or URLs to determine which record is being requested.
PLEASE NOTE: Some books and films can only be viewed in a local FamilySearch or Family History Center. To find your nearest Family History Center, go to familysearch.org/locations where you can search for family history center locations throughout the world.
How to find out if a film or book has been digitized:
- Go to www.familysearch.org
- Click on “Catalog”
- Enter the Film or Book number
If the film or book has been digitized, YOU CAN PRINT YOUR OWN COPIES if the printing of the image is not restricted
How to request copies of records found in Films or Books that have NOT BEEN digitized:
PLEASE LIMIT YOUR REQUEST TO FIVE (5) ITEMS PER REQUEST PER MONTH! Requests are processed in the order they are received. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Please do not re-submit your request a second time if you do not hear from us immediately.
The following information is REQUIRED to enable the Photoduplication department to locate the record and provide you with a copy:
- Film or Fiche number, item number.
- Name of individual you are researching.
- Title of record and name of parents, spouse, grantor, grantee, etc.
- Event type (Birth, Death or Marriage).
- The event date and place.
- Name of parish, the volume or page number, and the registration or Certificate Number.
- The state or country of origin
- Any other information that will be helpful in locating your record.
Please do not send URL links to pages.
You may use one of the following options to send your request to us:
- E-mail your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FAX your request to: 801-240-1584
- Mail your request to: Photoduplication Unit, Family and Church History Department, 50 E North Temple St, Room 599, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-3400.
If you do not have access to a computer, please FAX or mail your request as outlined above or you may use the Request for Photcopy Form
Please provide: your complete name, address, telephone number and e-mail address with each request. Please let us know if you are a new or a repeat patron and if your address, phone or email is new.
If copies need to be mailed to you, via United States Postal Services, there is a $2.00 fee per copy with a $4.00 minimum charge per order which can be paid by check or credit card. Please use the Request for Photocopy Formfor copies that need to be mailed to you.
There is NO CHARGE for photoduplication services if the copies can be E-MAILED to you.
If you have any questions, please call 801-240-3511 or 801-240-7843.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback