Pickens County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pickens County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pickens County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 5, 1853|
|Address|| Pickens County Courthouse|
52 North Main Street
Jasper, GA 30143
Pickens County Website
Pickens County Courthouse
52 North Main Street
Jasper, GA 30143
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial, and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1854.
1947 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Divorces 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pickens County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Tate, Luke E. History of Pickens County. Atlanta, Ga.: Press of W.W. Brown Pub. Co., c1935. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pickens County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Legal Advertising 1868-1873 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
1. Index to Will Book A, 1854-1887 Georgia Pioneers
2. Index to Will Book B, 1887-1935 Georgia Pioneers
3. Index to Inventories, Appraisements, Estates, Book A, 1854-1880 Georgia Pioneers
4. Wills, 1854-1887 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
Loose marriage papers have also been indexed covering the years 1871 through 1948:
- A to C Surnames - Batch M713492 at FamilySearch - free.
- D to G Surnames - Batch M713493 at FamilySearch - free.
- H to L Surnames - Batch M713494 at FamilySearch - free.
- M to P Surnames - Batch M713495 at FamilySearch - free.
- Q to T Surnames - Batch M713496 at FamilySearch - free.
- U to Z Surnames - Batch M713497 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pickens County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pickens County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.