Pike County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
801 Main Street
Petersburg, IN 47567
Click here for a map of Pike County Townships, based on 2000 census data
For a map of the 17 Southwest Indiana Counties, Click here, then select the Southwest Region from the Regional Township Maps dropdown box
The Pike County GenWeb site hosts numerous data bases; and a search engine that searches everything on the site except census and query boards. Click here to access this site.
There are 166 known cemeteries in Pike County. Click here for a listing of known burials in cemeteries by township. Click on the township in which the cemetery is located for a list of all of the cemeteries in the township, and then click on the cemetery name to see a list of names (alphabetized) and dates of people known to be buried in the cemetery. The data can also be accessed by clicking here to access the Pike GenWeb main page, typing the name of the individual you are seeking in the search engine box and clicking on Find. [note, this will return links to all pages that contain the name you entered into the search box. You must search through the list to find a cemetery reference, if it exists.]
National Cemeteries in Indiana
There are 4 National Cemeteries in Indiana. Click here for links to these.
- Anderson, Forrest R. 1942.Historical notes on Dubois & Pike Counties, Indiana. (Ireland, Ind: [s.n.].) FHL US/CAN Film 928078 Item 3 FHL Collection other libraries Family History Achive acestry.com $
- McClellan, Ruth Miley. Pike County History: Bicentennial Edition 1776-1976. Petersburg, Ind: Pike County Historical Society; Evansville, Ind: Printed by Unigraphic, Inc., 1976.
- McClellan, Ruth Miley. Our people of Pike County, Indiana. Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, 1878. 268 pages +16 p Index. LOC: F532.P6 M32, Dewey Decimal: 977.2/36 (biographies)
- Petersburg Womans Club. A History of Pike County, Ind. Petersburg, IN:typescript, 80 leaves. Copy at Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Indiana. Microfilm at FHL
- Pike County Historical Society. Pike County, Indiana History and Families, 1816-1987. Paducah, Kentucky: Turner Pub. Co., c1987, 236 p. FHL
- History of Pike and Dubois counties, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. : together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the state of Indiana. 2000. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press. Harvard (18th ed.)) 977.23 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
Civil War service men from Pike County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pike County.
- 4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry , Company F
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company C
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies F, and M
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reoganized Company G
- 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, and F
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and H
- 42nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 58th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, E, G, and I
- 65th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 143rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
- Wilder Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
Civil War Books
- "military History" Chapter 5 in History of Pike and Dubois counties, Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. : together with an extended history of the Northwest, the Indiana Territory, and the state of Indiana. 2000. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press. Harvard (18th ed.)) (page 317-324), 977.23 H2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
|Beginning Dates for Pike County Government Records|
Original Records are in the county courthouse, in the following offices:
| Pike County Records Offices|
Birth & Death
| Health Office
Marriage & Probate
| Clerks Office
|| 812-354-6025, |
PO Box 125 (mailing address)
|| Recorders Office
|| 812-354-6747, |
Extracted birth data are on Pike GenWeb, Births
Societies and Libraries
There are three branches of the Pike County Library. The genealogy department is in the Petersburg branch, aka Bartlet Memorial Library, which is located at:
1104 Main Street
Petersburg, IN 47567
Ph 812-354-6257, ex 206
Unique Features of the Genealogy Collection
- Curl Collection
Families of Pike County Indiana, an unpublished collection of interviews by a Mrs Curl with people in the community about their families. Available only on library computers no children given to Mrs Alexander 1900
• Newspaper Index
to family history information in 4 local newspapers 1874-1940?
(the newspapers are on microfilm)
- Pike County Democrat
- Petersburg Press
- Otwell Star
- Press Dispatch
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pike County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback