Pocahontas County, West Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Pocahontas County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1821|
900 10th Ave
Marlinton, WV 24954
- County Clerk has birth records from 1853
- Death records from 1854
- Marriage probate and land from 1822
- Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and county records
See an interactive map of Pocahontas County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Heinegg, Paul. "Pocahontas County Personal Property Tax List, 1825-1843," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
Pocahontas County, West Virginia Obituary Index Pocahontas County, West Virginia Cemetery Identification Pocahontas County Tombstone Transcription Project Find a Grave - Pocahontas County, West Virginia Interment.net Cemetery Records on Line Pocahontas County
For tips on accessing Pocahontas County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Blackhurst, Warren E. Natural History of the Cass Scenic Railroad. Morgantown, West Virginia, West Virginia University Library, 1976. 500.9754 B628.
Clarkson, Roy B. On Beyond Leatherbark: The Cass Saga. Parsons, West Virginia, McClain Printing Company, 1990. 975.487 C613.
Comstock, Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Genealogical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West virginia, Jim Comstock, 1973. 975.4003 H259 1973 v.3.
Edgar, Betsy. Our House: The Birthplace of Pearl S. Buck. Parsons, West Virginia, McClain Printing Company, 1965. B B922e.
Harper, Enid. History of Knapp's Creek Community Consisting of the The Hills, Forst, Knapp's Creek and Minnehaha Neighborhoods, Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1924 (On-line version). Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: H3.
Mill Point, West Virginia, Marvin Chapel Church History Committee. A History of Marvel Chapel and Community, Mill Point, West Virginia, 1953-54. s. l., Committee, 1954. 287.6754 M645.
Ott, Edwin. The Mountains Speak in Picture and Story. Fairlea, West Virginia, Farilea Print Shop, 1969. 917.5488 O89.
Pocahontas County Historical Society. Gleanings of Pocahontas County Historical Society. Marlinton, West Virginia, Society, 1980-. Per. ______________________________.
History of Pocahontas County, West Virginia, 1981. Dallas, Texas, Taylor Publishing Company, 1981. 975.487 P739.
Price, Andrew. Selim, the Algerine:Adventures of a Prisoner of Spain, France and Shawnees, Rescued in Pocahontas County in 1759. Marlinton, West Virginia, times Book Company, 1924. B S464p
Pam. Price, William Thomas. Historical Sketches of Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Marlinton, West Virginia, Price Brothers, 1901. 975. 487 P946.
Wilson, Mrs. Stanley. History of Minnehaha Springs Community, Pocahontas County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1928 (On-line version). Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: W5.
West Virginia, Civil War <a href="https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1932429">Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865</a>
<a href="http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wvpocaho/military.htm">Pocahontas County Military</a>
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at <a href="http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1840c-01.pdf">U.S. Census Bureau</a> and <a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=W7JYAAAAMAAJ">Google Books</a> et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Pocahontas County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at <a href="http://search.ancestryinstitution.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=48141">Ancestry</a> ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
West Virgina, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Pocohantas County, West Virginia Will Books 1822-1971
West Virginia Will Books
West Virginia Guides Will Books
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Pocahontas County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1976):210-212. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- [1825-1843] Heinegg, Paul. "Pocahontas County Personal Property Tax List, 1825-1843," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Learning How toEdit our Wiki Sites
Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).