Polk County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
1846--Polk County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. County seat: Des Moines
- I have photos of all headstones in the Oralabor Cemetery in Ankeny, Polk County, Iowa as of 2008. If you need one looked up please e-mail me at:E-Mail Me Please provide a surname, christian name and DOD if you have it.
- Glendale Cemetery, Des Moines BillionGraves
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Des Moines
Fold3.com ($) has Des Moines City Directories 1881-1913 (2 yrs. missing) and miscellaneous years going back to 1866 available online.
- History of Polk County, Iowa: A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, etc.
Union Historical Company, 1880
- View historic Polk County, Iowa maps in the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Iowa. District Court (Polk County). Naturalization Records, 1907–1927. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL films 1015201–17 item 2.
- Iowa. District Court. (Polk County). Index to Naturalization, 1852–1884. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL film 1015217 item 1.
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers that covered local news on Polk County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback