Pontotoc County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pontotoc County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Pontotoc County Courthouse
PO Box 209;
Pontotoc, MS 38863-0209;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. Clerk Chancery
Court has probate, court, and divorce records and land records from 1836. 
1836--Pontotoc County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Pontotoc 
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Pontotoc County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pontotoc County.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Miller's)
- Company B - Pontotoc Dragoons
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Polk Rangers
- Company I - Pontotoc Dragoons
- Company K - Pontotoc Dragoons No. 2
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company C - Reub Davis Rebels
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry (Harris's)
- Company A - Weatherall’s Company
- Company B - Wood’s Company
- Company C - Rye’s Compay
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Pontotoc Rangers also Peery’s Company (county of origin not specified)
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company D - Wilson’s Company
- Company E - Mississippi Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G – Pontotoc Minute Men
- Company H – Coonewah Rifles
- Company I – Cherry Creek Rifles
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Ashcraft's)
- Company B - Fears’ Company
- Company C - Patton’s Company
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G -- Mississippi Volunteers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pontotoc County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.