Poole St James, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Poole.-- mun. bor. and parish., seaport and market town, and co. in itself, Dorset, on a tongue of land on N. side of Poole harbour, 5 miles (by omnibus) W. of Bournemouth, 30 miles E. of Dorchester, and 118½ miles SW. of London. (Poole St James), 160 ac., pop. 7179; bor. (embracing also Hamworthy parish, and Longfleet and Parkstone townships, Canford Magna parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241343.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870; http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- ↑ Batches C159801, C159803, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 15 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ Batch M159802, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.