Portugal, Évora, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Collections)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Portugal, Évora, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1912 .
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Évora, Catholic Church Records collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you.
Title in the Language of the Record
Portugal, Évora, Registros da Iglesia Católica
Copies of baptism, marriage, and burial records created by the Catholic Church and housed at the Évora District Archive in Portugal. The text of the records is in Portuguese.
For a list of records by localities, document type and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Baptismal records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Siblings of child being baptized
- Parents' names
- Paternal grandparents and their origin
- Maternal grandparents and their origin
- Name of godfather, his occupation and origin
- Name of godmother, her occupation and origin
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's civil status and origin
- Names of groom's parents, their civil status and origin
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's civil status and origin
- Names of bride's parents, their civil status and origin
- Names of the witnesses, their residence and origin
Death records may contain the following information:
- Date and place of death
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Marital status and origin of deceased
- Sometimes, name of spouse, if married
- Sometimes, names of parents if deceased is a minor
- Burial information
How to Use the Record
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the “District”
⇒Select the “Municipality”
⇒Select the “Civil Parish”
⇒Select the “Parish”
⇒Select the “Record Type and Years” which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Known Issues with This Collection
If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- Portugal Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Portugal Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Portugal Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Portugal, Évora, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1912
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Portugal, Évora, Catholic Church Records, 1533-1909." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Évora District Archive.