Portugal, Évora, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Portugal, Évora, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records, 1554-1938 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Portugal, Évora, Registro Civil e Outros Registros Vários
This collection will include records from 1554-1938. There are various record types housed at the Arquivo Distrital de Évora, Portugal. This collection includes: civil registration records of births, marriages, deaths, passport registers, Catholic Church marriage dispensations, testaments and death records from the Santa Casa da Misericórdia. Additional images will be published as they become available.
Testaments (wills) may contain the following information:
- Name of notary public
- Date and place issued
- Name of testator
- Place of residence and sometimes place of origin
- Age or date of birth
- Spouse’s name and age or birth date
- Names of heirs and their ages or birth date and place of residence
Birth records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of registration
- Informant's name, age and residence
- Child's name
- Place and date of birth
- Parents' names
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of registration
- Name of groom
- Groom’s place of origin and residence
- Groom’s age
- Groom’s marital status
- Name of bride
- Bride’s place of origin and residence
- Bride’s age
- Bride’s marital status
- Groom’s parents' names and their place of origin
- Bride’s parents' names and their place of origin
Death records may contain the following information:
- Place and date of death
- Name of deceased person
- Deceased place of origin
- Deceased age at time of death
- Deceased marital status, name of spouse if married
- Cause of death
- Deceased place of residence
- Place of burial
- Parents’ names and their place of origin
How to Use the Record
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Município"
⇒Select the appropriate "Tipo de registro e anos" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Portugal, Évora, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records, 1554-1938
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Portugal, Évora, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records, 1554-1938.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Arquivo Distrital.
Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.