Portugal, Leiria, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Portugal, Leiria, Catholic Church Records, 1534-1911 .
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Leiria, Catholic Church Records collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you.
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Paroquiais da Igreja Católica da Diocese de Leiria, Portugal.
This is a collection of church records from parishes in the Diocese of Leiria for the years 1534-1911 it includes baptisms, marriages, and burial/deaths. These parish records have been preserved relatively well. Some of the older registers may have some physical damage due to natural causes; therefore, some data may be difficult to read or some even may be lost. However, in general, they are in good condition for extracting genealogical information. The original parish records were kept in the parish archive under the custody of the priest and a duplicate register was regularly sent to the diocesan archive where the records were centralized and kept at a higher state of preservation. The text of the records is in Portuguese. Earlier records were handwritten in narrative style, but newer records were handwritten in formatted registers.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Birth records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date, time and place of birth
- Parents names, occupation and origin
- Names of paternal grandparents, occupation and origin
- Names of maternaL grandparents, occupation and origin
- Godparents’ names
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's baptismal date and location
- Groom's date and place of birth
- Groom's civil status, occupation, and residence
- Names of groom's parents and their origin
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's baptismal date and location
- Bride's date and place of birth
- Bride's civil status and residence
- Names of bride's parents and their origin
- Names of witnesses and their residence
Death/burial records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of death
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Civil status, residence and origin of deceased
- Spouse's name if married
- Parents' names and their origin if deceased is a minor
- Sometimes, names of children of deceased
- Sometimes, a testament (will) of deceased
- Burial information
How to Use the Records
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "District" category
⇒Select the "Municipality" category
⇒Select the "Civil Parish" category
⇒Select the "Parish" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Portugal, Leiria, Catholic Church Records, 1534-1911
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citations for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Portugal, Leiria, Catholic Church Records, 1534-1911." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Leiria District Archive.