Prairie County, Arkansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Prairie County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Prairie County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 25, 1846|
|County Seat||Des Arc|
|Address|| Prairie County Courthouse|
PO Box 278;
Des Arc, AR 72040-0278
Prairie County Courthouse
PO Box 278;
Des Arc, AR 72040-0278
County Clerk in Devalls, Bluff, Arkansas has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1885,
naturalization records 1907-1912 and military discharge records from 1917
- 1846--Prairie County was created 25 November 1846 from Pulaski and Monroe Counties. County seat: Des Arc
- History of Prairie County Marilyn Sickel Prairie Co. ARGenweb
See an interactive map of Prairie County boundary changes.
- Index to Prairie County Burials this also has links to cemetery histories and listing.
Church records vary greatly, depending upon the the record keepers and beliefs of the church. They may give: a member's dates of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information, maiden name; and death date. For more information, see Arkansas Church Records.
See also Cities and Towns to find records listed at the town level in the FamilySearch Catalog.
Land and Property
Land and property records can 1) place an ancestor in a specific location, 2) provide economic information, 3) reveal family relationships, and more.
After land was transferred to private ownership, transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse in the form of deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, and others.
See Arkansas Land and Property for more about online collections and early Arkansas land grants and patents from the government to private ownership.
- Map of Prairie County - 1895 Prairie Co.ARGenweb
- Confederate Patriots' Index Marilyn Sickel Prairie Co. ARGenweb
- Men from this county served in Louis' Company, Arkansas Militia (Confederate) and the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate).
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Prairie County, Arkansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Prairie County, Arkansas Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Wills and Probate Prairie County ARGenweb
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1854-1962 - Prairie County Marriage Books A-O Index 1854-1962 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1854-1924 - Prairie County Marriage Books A-K Index 1854-1924 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriages ARGenweb
- Index to Prairie County Death Certificates beginning Feb 1, 1914 to 1947 - Marilyn Sickel Prairie County ARGenweb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Independence County Historical Society
- White River Regional Library
- Lyon College
- Old Independence Regional Museum
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Independence County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.