Presbyterian Church in the United StatesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
History in the United States
Seventeenth and eighteenth century immigrants from Scotland and Northern Ireland brought Presbyterianism to Pennsylvania and later to many of the middle and southern colonies. By the mid-eighteenth century, Presbyterianism had nearly as many members as the Anglican and Congregationalist churches.
Presbyterian Church Records
Types of Records
Death and Burial
The Presbyterian Historical Society has an online index for their collection. This includes a Congregation Vertical Files Index, a Biographical Vertical Files Index and Hall's Index of American Presbyterian Congregations. Hall's index includes a brief history of each Congregation with date it was formed, changed, and/or ended and also has a link to the Historical Society's search engine called CALVIN which leads to the records the Society holds in regards to that Congregation.
Where they are Located
- Southern Region
- Presbyterian Church (USA) Dept. of History
318 Georgia Terrace
Montreat, NC 28757
- Northern Region
- Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
Address inquiries to: Genealogical Inquiries, Dept. of History and Record Management Services at the above address. To conduct a family name search, the name of the family's congregation must be known.
- The Presbyterian Church website at pcusa.org has a locator for finding congregations in the United States.
- Ancestry.com $ has a wide selection of Presbyterian records. To access these records, click on "search" then "search all records" find the card catalog and type "presbyterian" in the "keyword" box.
- For their obituaries, news clippings, ministerial service, genealogies, histories, and biographical sketches see:
- Presbyterian Historical Society (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). Miscellaneous Biographical Collection. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1967. (On 69 Family History Library films starting with 506383 FHL Collection
- Benedetto, Robert. Guide to the Manuscript Collections of the Presbyterian Church, USA. New York, New York: Greenwood Press, 1990. FHL Collection Book 973 A3ben. Indexed.
- Ulster Ireland Presbyterian Immigrants
An account of the (mainly) Ulster Presbyterians who immigrated to America in the 18th century and includes genealogical information. It also provides detail on the social and political conditions that the immigrants faced during that period. An extensive index is included.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More