Preston County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Preston County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Preston County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||January 19, 1818|
|Address|| Preston County Courthouse|
101 West Main Street #101
Kingwood, WV 26537
Preston County Website
County Clerk had birth, marriage, deaths
Probate and land records from 1869
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Preston County boundary changes.
1869--The courthouse burned.
Places / Localities
- Genealogy of Some Early Families in Grant and Pleasants Districts, Preston County, West Virginia. Baltimore, Md., 1977.
- [Wotring] Bell, Raymond Martin and Mabel Ghering Granquist et al. The Wotring-Woodring Family of Pennsylvania. 3rd ed. Washington, Pa., 1968. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 2243.
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Preston County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Regiments. Service men in Preston County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Preston County, West Virginia:
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Preston County, West Virginia Will Books 1869-1970
West VirginiaWill Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1866, 1869-1970 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Preston County Historical Society
PO Box 307
Rowlesburg, WV 26425
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Preston County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).