Prince Frederick Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Prince Frederick's once took up a large area of South Carolina, but by 1790 this parish (as well as Prince George's to the east) took up all or parts of six present-day South Carolina counties: Williamsburg, Florence, Marion, Dillon, Horry and Georgetown.
In addition to religious roles, South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders All Saints, Prince George, St. David's, St. James Santee, St. Mark's, and St. Stephen's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- Altman, Eunice and Flora B. Surles. Georgetown County, Epitaphs of Prince Frederick's Parish, Pee Dee, 1749-1896 W.P.A. Project 2004. Typescript, South Caroliniana Library, 1937. FHL Film 22726 Item 20
The original parish registers are kept at [blank], South Carolina. Abstracts of baptisms from 1713 to 1794 and marriages from 1726 to 1752 have been published:
- Prince Frederick Parish and Prince George Parish. The Register Book for the Parish Prince Frederick Winyaw, Ann: Dom: 1713. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1916. FHL Film 547227 Item 7; digital version at Internet Archive.
- ↑ Albert Sidney Thomas, A Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina, 1820- 1957 (1957); William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore: Geneal. Pub., c1987).
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.