Prince Frederick Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This parish is also known as Prince Frederick Parish, Winyah, and also Old Prince Frederick Winea, and after 1848 Prince Frederick Parish, Pee Dee.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (also called the Anglican Church, and later the Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were also used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
Prince Frederick Parish, Winyah (originally near Brown's Ferry on the Black River (Dunbar), Georgetown, SC) was created in 1734 by splitting Prince George Parish. Prince George Parish's old wooden church building was transferred to the new Prince Frederick Parish, which was formed from an interior part of Craven County.
Borders: All Saints, Prince George, St. David's, St. James Santee, St. Mark's, and St. Stephen's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
Areas Served: Prince Frederick Parish served:
Modern equivalents: Prince Frederick's once took up a large area of South Carolina. By 1790 this parish (as well as Prince George's to the east) took up all or parts of six present-day South Carolina counties: Williamsburg, Florence, Marion, Dillon, Horry and Georgetown counties.
- Altman, Eunice and Flora B. Surles. Georgetown County, Epitaphs of Prince Frederick's Parish, Pee Dee, 1749-1896 W.P.A. Project 2004. Typescript, South Caroliniana Library, 1937. FHL Film 22726 Item 20
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 10, Prince Frederick's Parish, pages 319-321, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
The original parish registers are kept at [blank], South Carolina. Abstracts of baptisms from 1713 to 1794 and marriages from 1726 to 1752 have been published:
- Prince Frederick Parish and Prince George Parish. The Register Book for the Parish Prince Frederick Winyaw, Ann: Dom: 1713. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1916. FHL Film 547227 Item 7; digital version at Internet Archive.
Marriage register are also abstracted in:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1688-1799. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 1
A partial 1756 tax return for Prince Frederick Parish survives. It is kept in the Maps and Muniments section of the South Carolina Historical Society, and, according to Morgan, describes "69 taxpayers, 702 slaves, and 44,129 acres of land."
Some tax return from the 1780s survive and have been published:
-  "1784 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Fall 1975):201-206. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 3
-  "1786 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Winter 1983):33-39. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 11
- Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick's Parish Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "Georgetown County Cemeteries," SCGenWeb, accessed 10 March 2011.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- ↑ "Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George_Winyah_Episcopal_Church (aacessed 19 May 2011).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 11 May 2011).
- ↑ "Black River Church cemetery" in Find a Grave at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&;CRid=2388013 (accessed 19 May 2011), and "Prince Fredericks Cemetery" in Find a Grave at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2192374&CScn=Prince+Frederick& (accessed 19 May 2011).
- ↑ Albert Sidney Thomas, A Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina, 1820- 1957 (1957); William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. (Baltimore: Geneal. Pub., c1987).
- ↑ Philip D. Morgan, "A Profile of a Mid-Eighteenth Century South Carolina Parish: The Tax Return of Saint James', Goose Creek," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jan. 1980):52-53. Digital version at JSTOR ($).