Prince George's County, Maryland Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(added Wheat article)
(Added US Web Gen link)
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
==== Cemeteries ====
==== Cemeteries ====
==== Census ====
==== Census ====
Revision as of 01:37, 3 January 2011
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
County Administration Building
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772-3050
- Named for Prince George of Denmark, the brother of King Christian V of Denmark and Sweden, and husband of Queen Anne of Great Britain.
- 10 June 1748, Frederick County was set off.
- 1791, portions were ceded to form the District of Columbia.
- Bowie, Greenbelt, Laurel, Landover Hills, Upper Marlboro, more...
files.usgwarchives.net/md/howard/cemeteries/multiple.txt includes partial transcriptions for
Ammendale Cemetery-Ammendale-(Christian Bros.)
11007 Montgomery Road,Beltsville,MD
White Marsh Cemetery-Bowie MD
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Prince George's County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), St. John's Church, King George's Parish (aka Piscataway Parish, St. John's Parish), includes: parish registers 1689-1878 and vestry minutes 1693-1823
- Protestant Episcopal, St. Simon's Chapel (African American), includes: parish and church registers 1902-1963, etc.
- Protestant Episcopal, St. Thomas's Parish, includes: parish registers 1850-1970 and various records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Capitol Heights
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Bates] Russell, Donna Valley. "The Maternal Ancestry of Mary Bates, Wife of Lingan Wilson of Prince George's County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 68, No. 2 (Apr. 1993):72-76. Available at FHL.
- [Beall] See Bates.
- [Beckwith] Hoff, Henry B. "Alexander de Hinojosa and His Descendants in Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, No. 4 (Oct. 2004):260-273. Available at FHL.
- [Boteler] Russell, Donna Valley. "The Boteler Family of Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 70, No. 1 (Jan. 1995):9-17. Available at FHL.
- [Buckerfield] See Bates.
- [Gambra] Russell, George Ely. "Portuguese and Spanish Colonists in Seventeenth-Century Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 76, No. 1 (January 2001):50-60; Vol. 77, No. 1 (Apr. 2001):138-147. Available at FHL.
- [Hepburn] See Bates.
- [Holdsworth] See Bates.
- [Parker] See Bates.
- [Pottenger] Thompson, Neil D. and Paul C. Reed. "Falsehood and Truth: The Ancestry of John Pottenger, Immigrant to Maryland in 1684," The American Genealogist, Vol. 68, No. 3 (Jul. 1993):139-145. Available at FHL.
- [Reagan] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273R22b 1978. [The Reagan family is discussed in Vol. 1.]
- [Smith] Russell, Donna Valley. "Nathan and Thomas Smith of Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 65, No. 4 (Oct. 1990):230-232. FHL Collection
- [Welsh] Russell, George Ely. "Molly Welsh: Alleged Grandmother of Benjamin Banneker," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 94, No. 4 (December 2006):305-314. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 94 (2006)
- [Wheat] Monk, Arliss Shaffer. "Undocumented Genealogies: To Trust or Not to Trust? Lessons from Several Strains of Wheat," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 86, No. 1 (March 1998):37-49. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 86 (1998)
- [Wilson] See Bates.
- List of imported servants and convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Prince George's County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Prince George's County Deed Books (1696-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Prince George's County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Prince George's County, pp. 153-154. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Prince George's County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
- The Prince George's County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Prince George's County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Prince George's County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Prince George's County.