Prince George Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Prince George Parish (aka Prince George Winyah Parish) has served Georgetown.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders All Saints, Prince Frederick, and St. James Santee parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
- "Inscriptions from the Churchyard of Prince George Winyah Georgetown, South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 3 (Jul., 1930), pp. 184-208; digital version at JSTOR ($); Vol. 31, No. 4 (Oct., 1930), pp. 292-313; digital version at JSTOR ($).
Hundreds of the cemetery's old graves are described at Find A Grave. Includes transcripts and select photographs.
Hundreds of the cemetery's graves are also described at SCGenWeb.
In a book review, Heritage Passed On was described as "of special interest to genealogists and church historians studying the Georgetown area," see:
- Lumpkin, Sarah Parker. Heritage Passed On: History of Prince George, Winyah Parish. 1992.
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 10, Prince George's Parish, Winyaw, pages 303-318, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
Marriages from the parish register have been abstracted in:
- Holcomb, Brent H. and Thomas L. Hollowak. South Carolina Marriages, 1800-1820. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1981. FHL Book 975.7 V2hsc v. 2
- Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church (official site)
- Prince George Winyah Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick's Parish Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News