Prince William Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Prince William's Parish served Beaufort County, South Carolina. It was also known as Old Sheldon Church. It was burned in the Revolutionary War and then again in the Civil War.
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Prince George and Prince Frederick parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Prince William County, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Bowers, Gloria Cook Jones. Southern Cousins: Cook, Fennell, and Related Families of Prince William's Parish, South Carolina. Varnville, S.C.: G. Bowers, 1991. FHL Collection 929.273 C771bg
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 23, Prince William's Parish, pages 382-384, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Todd, John Reynard and Francis Marion Huston. Prince William's Parish and Plantations. Richmond, Va.: Garrett & Massie, 1935. FHL Book 975.79 H2t
The original parish registers of Sheldon Church are kept at ... Abstracts:
- deTreville, Marie and William L. Glover. "Registers of Sheldon Church, Prince William's Parish, 1826-1947," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 3 (Jul. 1955):151-156; Vol. 56, No. 4 (Oct. 1955):226-228; Vol. 57, No. 1 (Jan. 1956):51-53; Vol. 57, No. 2 (Apr. 1956):103-106; Vol. 57, No. 3 (Jul. 1956):179-181. Digital versions at JSTOR ($).
- Sheldon Church, Prince Williams Parish, Beaufort, South Carolina Births or Christenings 1825-1873. FHL Books 975.7 B2s v. 56-57; Index: FHL Film 821 Item 15; also indexed in the IGI
- Sheldon Church, Prince Williams Parish, Beaufort, South Carolina Marriages 1826-1876. FHL Book 975.7 B2s v. 57; Index: FHL Collection; also indexed in the IGI
- Hurst, Robert Latimer. "Old Sheldon Church Remains Hidden in South Carolina Low Country Near Pocotaligo." Accessed 17 February 2011. Includes history and photographs.
- Old Sheldon Church Ruins - Yemassee, South Carolina, at SCIWAY (South Carolina's Information Highway). Includes some nice photographs and history.
- Ruins of Old Sheldon, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback