Providence County, Rhode Island GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Providence County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
Location of Rhode Island in the U.S.
|Founded||June 16, 1729|
Providence County Courthouse
250 Benefit Street
Providence, RI 02903
Probate Judge has probate records
Family Court has divorce records;
Municipal Court has court records;
Recorder Deeds has land records;
Town and City Clerks have birth, marriage and death records
(22 twns in Providence Co) Towns Organized Before 1800; Cranston 1754, Cumberland 1746-7, Foster 1781, Gloucester 1730-1, Johnston 1759, North Providence 1765, Providence 1636, Scituate 1730-1, Smithfield 1730-1
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
Named for the Divine Providence.
16 June 1729: Renamed Providence County. 
1703: Formed as Providence Plantations County.
- Lost census: 1890
Places / Localities
Clickable Town Map
Archives and Libraries
For tips on accessing Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Church History and Records (Rural)
Fold3 ($) has Providence City Directories 1861-1924 available online.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1778-1784, 1799-1828 - The Providence Gazette at Google News - free.
- 1779-1781 - The American Journal and General Advertiser at Google News - free.
- 1785-1795 - The Providence Gazette and Country Journal at Google News - free.
- 1799-1801 - The Providence Journal at Google News - free.
The probate records of Providence, 1670 to 1730, have been published. See Frank Calef's index to Providence probate records of 1663 to 1775 (FHL 022385).
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- The Providence County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Providence County.
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Providence County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
|This Rhode Island-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More