Putnam County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Putnam County Courthouse
1 Courthouse Square Street
PO Box 546
Greencastle, IN 46135-0546
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1822,
Divorce and Probate Records from 1825
and Court Records from 1828.
County Recorder has land records. 
- A surname index (43,478 listings) of many cemeteries in Putnam County is available at the Putnam Public Library site.
- Cemeteries - InGen Web
- see Cemeteries - Linkpensdium
- Putnam County pioneer cemeteries
For tips on accessing Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Putnam County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Putnam County Churches - INGenWeb
- Directory of Businesses in Putnam County, Indiana (1858) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Ellsworth, Spencer. Records of the Olden Time, or, Fifty Years on the Prairies Embracing ... the Organization of the Counties of Putnam and Marshall, Incidents and Reminiscences Connected Therewith, Biographies of Citizens, Portraits and Illustrations. (La Crosse, Wis: Brookhaven Press (a division of NMT Corp.), 2003.) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Putnam County - Linkpendium
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military War data - INGen Web
- see Military Records and History - Linkpendium
- Veterans in Putnam County, Indiana (1913) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Putnam County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Putnam County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company E
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company C
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies F, H, and K
- 13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F, and H
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 20th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 27th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and I
- 43rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and H
- 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 78th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (60 days, 1862), Companies A, and B
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Companies C, H, and I
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, and G
- 133rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864),
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, H, and I
- 156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
- Wabash Valley obituary index contains most of Vigo County, but much of other counties, including Putnam. These are indexes to obituaries published in Terre Haute newspapers from 1900-2007.
- An obituary index from The BannerGraphic, newspaper of Greencastle, covers 1975 to the present and is updated every two weeks at the Putnam Public Library site.
- see Newspaper Records - Linkpendium
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- see Vital Records - Linkpendium
- Birth Records; Death Reports; Marriage - INGenWeb
- Indiana States Digital Archives has Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Naturalization Record's.
Societies and Libraries
The Putnam County Library has a Local History and Genealogy Department. You can search all their indexed books and databases from this Web site. If you find something of interest, the librarians will do a short look up for you for free.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Indiana State Library has an Internet page of records for Putnam County. They are adding new databases, so check back often.
- Putnam County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Putnam County Public Library's Local History and Genealogy Department
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Putnam County, Indiana 216 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Putnam County, Indiana," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.