Rapid City Indian SchoolEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Rapid City Indian School was created in 1898 for Indian children from the Northern plains, including those from the Sioux, Northern Cheyenne, Shoshone, Arapaho, Crow, and Flathead tribes. It was one of the off-reservation Indian Boarding Schools established by the Bureau of Indian Affairs and was sometimes called "School of the Hills." It closed its doors as a school in 1933 and became a Sanitorium for the treatment of tuberculosis for the Sioux.
Administrative records are available at the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and have been microfilmed. These records include pupil enrollment and attendance records,1908-1914 and 1928-1932, and records of employees, 1897-1913. Copies are available at the South Dakota Archives. The inventory of these microfilmed records is available on the South Dakota Archives website. No pupil files are listed in this collection.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Rapid City School, 1910-1934, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 113, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724331).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.