Rhode Island GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
|Rhode Island Genealog-ical Society Events|
|Rhode Island Topics|
Welcome to Rhode Island & Providence Plantations, the Oceanside State
- RI records are kept on the town level.
- RI had more religious diversity and churches than most colonies.
- Large number of family histories.
- Using Arnold's Vital Records of Rhode Island—In Print and Online Guide.
Rhode Island State Archives · Rhode Island Historical Society · Newport Historical Society · Brown University Library · Providence Public Library · Archives at the Judicial Records Center · National Archives Northeast Region (Boston) · New England Historic Genealogical Society
The state is called Rhode Island in common usage, but most of the state lies on the North American mainland. Providence Plantations refers to the mainland, while Rhode Island is actually the unofficial name for Aquidneck Island (now composed of the city of Newport, and the towns of Middletown and Portsmouth). From 1524 Italian, Dutch West India Company and British Rule of area.
Did you know?
- Before 1900 the largest religious groups in Rhode Island were the Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, Protestant
- Colonial censuses (or similar lists of names) exist for 1747 to 1754, 1774, and 1782. These generally name the head of the household and the number of persons in the family.
- Rhode Island County Creation Dates and Parent Counties
- The Rhode Island GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Rhode Island Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Rhode Island Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records) [[|]]
- Rhode Island 1885 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Rhode Island 1905 State Census (FamilySearch historical Records)
- Rhode Island 1915 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Rhode Island 1925 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Rhode Island 1935 State Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News