Rhosllannerchrugog, Wrexham

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(int link)
(update)
Line 15: Line 15:
 
== Administration ==
 
== Administration ==
  
{| width="80%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
+
{| width="90%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
! width="40%" | Years
+
! width="45%" | Years
! width="40%" | County
+
! width="45%" | County
 
|- valign="top"
 
|- valign="top"
 
| pre 1536
 
| pre 1536
Line 37: Line 37:
 
The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the '''Wrexham''' Registrar's District.  
 
The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the '''Wrexham''' Registrar's District.  
  
{| width="75%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
+
{| width="90%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
! width="10%" | Year
+
! width="15%" | Year
! width="50%" | Parts
+
! width="75%" | Parts
 
|-
 
|-
 
| 1841
 
| 1841
Line 68: Line 68:
 
The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
 
The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
  
{| width="40%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
+
{| width="60%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Baptisms
 
| Baptisms
Line 81: Line 81:
 
<br />
 
<br />
  
* The [http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/ Clwyd Family History Society] have published many of the [[Denbighshire_Parish_Registers#Rhosllannerchrugog|Rhosllannerchrugog parish registers]].
+
The [http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/ Clwyd Family History Society] have published the following Rhosllannerchrugog parish registers:
* There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosllannerchrugog parish.
+
 
 +
{| width="60%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
! width="15%" | Volume
 +
! width="15%" | Baptisms
 +
! width="15%" | Marriages
 +
! width="15%" | Burials
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| 1
 +
|
 +
|
 +
| 1853-1870
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| 2
 +
|
 +
|
 +
| 1871-1887
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| 3
 +
|
 +
|
 +
| 1888-1906
 +
|- valign="top"
 +
| 4
 +
| 1853-1906
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|}
 +
<br />
 +
 
 +
There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosllannerchrugog parish.
  
 
== Nonconformist Church Records  ==
 
== Nonconformist Church Records  ==
Line 88: Line 118:
 
The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:
 
The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:
  
{| width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
+
{| width="90%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
! width="70%" | Chapel
+
! width="45%" | Chapel
! width="15%" | Years
+
! width="25%" | Years
! width="15%" | Batch Number
+
! width="20%" | Batch Number
 
|- valign="top"
 
|- valign="top"
 
| ''Bethlehem'' Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog
 
| ''Bethlehem'' Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog
Line 105: Line 135:
 
== Civil Records ==
 
== Civil Records ==
  
Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
+
The Registry Office was in High Street, [[Ruabon]]. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
  
{| width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
+
{| width="90%" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" align="center"
! width="30%" | Years
+
! width="25%" | Years
 
! width="20%" | Sub-district
 
! width="20%" | Sub-district
 
! width="20%" | District
 
! width="20%" | District
! width="30%" | Volumes
+
! width="25%" | Volumes
 
|- valign="top"
 
|- valign="top"
 
| 1 Jul 1837 - 1974
 
| 1 Jul 1837 - 1974
Line 122: Line 152:
 
== Poor Law Union==
 
== Poor Law Union==
  
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Ruabon, and later Rhosllannerchrugog, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at '''Croesnewydd''' in Bersham, Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in '''Ruthin'''.  
+
Rhosllannerchrugog was part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March 1837. A workhouse was built at '''Croesnewydd''' in Bersham, Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in '''Ruthin'''.  
  
 
== Cemeteries ==
 
== Cemeteries ==
 
* St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
 
* St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
 
* Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
 
* Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
 +
* Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
 +
* Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau
 +
 +
The [http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/ Clwyd Family History Society] have published the following Rhosllannerchrugog monumental inscriptions:
 +
 
* Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
 
* Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
 
* Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau
 
* Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau

Revision as of 12:25, 15 October 2008

Rhosllannerchrugog (occasionally written in English as Rhosllanerchrugog) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales. The community contains the villages of Rhosllannerchrugog, Ponciau, Pant and Johnstown.

Contents

History

Rhos sign.png

Literally translated the name comes from the Welsh: rhos "moor"; llannerch "glade"; grugog "heathery" hence "Moor of the Heathery Glade." It is often known simply as Rhos. With a population of approximately 10,000 the modern community of Rhosllannerchrugog is one of the largest in Wales.

The village was originally within the ancient parish of Ruabon and the district was referred to as Morton Above (i.e. Morton, or moor town, above Offa's Dyke) or Morton Wallichorum (the Welsh Morton). In 1844 Morton Above became part of the newly created parish of Rhosllannerchrugog.

The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, built on the outskirts of the village in 1852, was consecrated on 4 October 1853. Although now closed, the building is listed, Grade II. A cemetery surrounds the church and was later extended as a civil cemetery. St. David's church, in the centre of the village, now acts as the parish church.

The development of the village can be attributed largely to the coal seams of north-east Wales that pass beneath it, leading to the establishment of a large coal mining community during the 18th century. A symbol of Rhos' coal-mining heritage is seen in the "Stiwt", the miners' institute on Broad Street. This was erected and paid for by the miners, during the general strike of 1926, as a social and cultural centre for the community.

The Welsh Religious Revival of 1904 had a major impact on Rhosllannerchrugog. The famous bardic line Beibl a Rhaw i Bobl y Rhos (English: a Bible and a Spade for the People of Rhos) reflects the importance of both coal-mining and the chapels on the village's culture and heritage. The predominantly Welsh language churches and chapels impacted greatly on the linguistic and cultural profile of the area. One result of this is that although only nine miles from the English border and surrounded by English-speaking villages, Welsh is still spoken as a community language in Rhosllannerchrugog.

Administration

Years County
pre 1536 Powys Fadog
1536 - 31 March 1974 Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996, Wrexham


Census Records

The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841 missing
1851 HO107/2503 folios 269 to 378
1861 RG9/4283 folios 1 to 80
1871 RG10/5653 folios 3 to 30 & 99 to 189
1881 RG11/5512
RG11/5514
1891 RG12/4612 folios 72 to 190
RG12/4613 folio 1 to 153
1901 RG13/5216


Church Records

The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:

Baptisms 1853 - 1906
Marriages: 1854 - 1930
Burials 1853 - 1920


The Clwyd Family History Society have published the following Rhosllannerchrugog parish registers:

Volume Baptisms Marriages Burials
1 1853-1870
2 1871-1887
3 1888-1906
4 1853-1906


There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosllannerchrugog parish.

Nonconformist Church Records

The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:

Chapel Years Batch Number
Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1831 C101761
Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1837 C101871


Civil Records

The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:

Years Sub-district District Volumes
1 Jul 1837 - 1974 Ruabon Wrexham XXVII (1837-51)
11b (1852-1946)
8A (1946-74)


Poor Law Union

Rhosllannerchrugog was part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March 1837. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham, Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.

Cemeteries

  • St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
  • Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
  • Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
  • Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau

The Clwyd Family History Society have published the following Rhosllannerchrugog monumental inscriptions:

  • Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
  • Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau

Newspapers

A weekly bilingual newspaper, the Rhos Herald, was founded by Richard Mills in 1894 in Hall Street. A total of 3,737 issues were published from 18 August 1894 to 31 December 1966.

See also

External links

Bibliography

  • Hanes Rhosllannerchrugog (The History of Rhosllannerchrugog) (1945) J. Rhosydd Williams
  • Through These Windows, A Place and Its People (1981) Bill Portmadoc-Jones.
  • Rhos-Llannerch-Rugog: Atgofion - Memories of Rhosllannerchrugog (1955) William Phillips
  • Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Pen-y-cae, a collection of pictures (2 volumes, 1991-92), Dennis W Gilpin

Gotoarrow.png Return to the Denbighshire Portal page
Gotoarrow.png Return to the Wales Portal page