Rhosllannerchrugog, WrexhamEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 17:06, 12 May 2013 by Bromaelor (Talk | contribs)

WalesGotoarrow.pngCounty Borough of WrexhamGotoarrow.pngRhosllannerchrugog

St. John's Parish Church
Rhosllannerchrugog (occasionally written in English as Rhosllanerchrugog) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales. The community contains the villages of Rhosllannerchrugog, Ponciau, Pant and Johnstown.

Contents

History

Village Sign
Literally translated the name comes from the Welsh: rhos "moor"; llannerch "glade"; grugog "heathery" hence "Moor of the Heathery Glade." It is often known simply as Rhos. With a population of approximately 10,000 the modern community of Rhosllannerchrugog is one of the largest in Wales.

The village was originally within the ancient parish of Ruabon and the district was referred to as Morton Above (i.e. Morton, or moor town, above Offa's Dyke) or Morton Wallichorum (the Welsh Morton). In 1844 Morton Above became part of the newly created parish of Rhosllannerchrugog.

The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, built on the outskirts of the village in 1852, was consecrated on 4 October 1853. Although now closed, the building is listed, Grade II. A cemetery surrounds the church and was later extended as a civil cemetery. St. David's church, in the centre of the village, now acts as the parish church.

The development of the village can be attributed largely to the coal seams of north-east Wales that pass beneath it, leading to the establishment of a large coal mining community during the 18th century. A symbol of Rhos' coal-mining heritage is seen in the "Stiwt", the miners' institute on Broad Street. This was erected and paid for by the miners, during the general strike of 1926, as a social and cultural centre for the community.

The Welsh Religious Revival of 1904 had a major impact on Rhosllannerchrugog. The famous bardic line Beibl a Rhaw i Bobl y Rhos (English: a Bible and a Spade for the People of Rhos) reflects the importance of both coal-mining and the chapels on the village's culture and heritage. The predominantly Welsh language churches and chapels impacted greatly on the linguistic and cultural profile of the area. One result of this is that although only nine miles from the English border and surrounded by English-speaking villages, Welsh is still spoken as a community language in Rhosllannerchrugog.

Administration

Years County
pre 1536 Powys Fadog
1536 - 31 March 1974 Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Wrexham

Records

Census Records

The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841 missing
1851 HO107/2502 folios 266-378
1861 RG9/4282 folios 64-74
RG9/4283 folios 1-80
1871 RG10/5653 folios 76-189
1881 RG11/5512 folios 11-end
RG11/5514 folio 124
1891 RG12/4612 folios 72-190
RG12/4613 folio 1-153
1901 RG13/5216

Church Records

  • The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
Baptisms 1853 - 1906
Marriages: 1854 - 1930
Burials 1853 - 1920

Nonconformist Church Records

The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:

Chapel Years Batch Number
Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1831 C101761
Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1837 C101871

Civil Records

The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:

Years Sub-district District Volumes
1 Jul 1837 - 1974 Ruabon Wrexham XXVII (1837-51)
11b (1852-1946)
8A (1946-74)

Poor Law Union Records

Rhosllannerchrugog was part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March 1837. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.

Cemeteries

  • St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
  • Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
  • Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
  • Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau

The Clwyd Family History Society have published the Monumental Inscriptions from Mynydd Seion and Soar Scotch Baptist cemeteries.

Newspapers

A weekly bilingual newspaper, the Rhos Herald, was founded by Richard Mills in 1894 in Hall Street. A total of 3,737 issues were published from 18 August 1894 to 31 December 1966.

See also

External links

Bibliography

  • Hanes Rhosllannerchrugog (The History of Rhosllannerchrugog) (1945) J. Rhosydd Williams
  • Through These Windows, A Place and Its People (1981) Bill Portmadoc-Jones.
  • Rhos-Llannerch-Rugog: Atgofion - Memories of Rhosllannerchrugog (1955) William Phillips
  • Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Penycae, a collection of pictures (2 volumes, 1991-92), Dennis W Gilpin

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).