Rhosymedre, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The parish of Rhosymedre was created in 1844 from the Ruabon townships of Coed Cristionydd and Cristionydd Cynrig. The parish contains the villages of Cefn Mawr, Cefn Bychan, Acrefair, Newbridge, Plas Madoc and Rhosymedre.
The parish church, St. John the Evangelist, was consecrated on 6 July 1837. However, in 1894 a new chapel of ease, St. Paul's , was built as a chapel of ease in Acrefair.
In 1879, part of the township of Cristionydd Cynrig was transferred to the new parish of Penycae.
The area was formerly heavily industrialised with large deposits of iron, coal and clay. Iron was worked at Acrefair; Cefn Mawr and Plas Madoc. In 1867 Robert Graesser, an industrial chemist from Obermosel in Saxony, Germany established a chemical works at Plas Kynaston in Cefn Mawr to extract paraffin oil and wax from the local shale. This was the start of the long association with the chemical industry. The site was later acquired by the American chemical company Monsanto, their first venture in Europe. Coal was worked throughout the parish and large brickworks existed at Acrefair and Newbridge.
Much of the mineral wealth of the area was exported by canal over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Shropshire Union Canal, until the railway reached Ruabon in 1855.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Rhosymedre formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2503 folios 15 to 378|
|1861|| RG9/4280 folios f9 to end|
RG9/4283 folio 80
|1871|| RG10/5652 folios 17 to end|
RG10/5653 folio 189
|1881|| RG11/5512 folios 11 to end|
RG11/5514 folio 124
|1891|| RG12/4612 folios 8 to 179|
RG12/4613 folio 168
The following Rhosymedre Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1837 - 1992|
|Marriages:||1844 - 1988|
|Burials:||1839 - 1974|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Rhosymedre parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosymedre parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
- The following chapel records have been published:
|Calvinistic Methodist||Clwyd FHS Blackwell Index CD||1819-1837|
|Wesleyan Methodist||IGI Batch C101611||1815-1837|
|Seion Welsh Baptist||Clwyd FHS Booklet||1790-1838|
|Cefn Bychan Welsh Baptist||Clwyd FHS Booklet||1798-1866|
The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosymedre are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Ruabon||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Ruabon, and later the parish of Rhosymedre, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
- St. John's Church, Rhosymedre
- Trefynant Cemetery, Acrefair
- Capel Seion Cemetery, Cefn Mawr
- Welsh Baptist Chapel Cemetery, Cefn Bychan
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News