Ribby cum Wrea, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Ribby cum Wrea is an Ecclesiastical Parish in Amounderness deanery of the Diocese of manchester from 1847in the county of Lancashire, created in 1759 from chapelry in Kirkham, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wrea
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
RIBBY, with Wrea, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire; containing, with the township of Westby with Plumptons, 1085 inhabitants, of whom 442 are in Ribby with Wrea township, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Kirkham, on the road to Lytham. This place is mentioned in Domesday survey. Roger de Poictou gave the tithes of "Ribbi" to the priory of Lancaster, and the grant was confirmed by John, Earl of Morton; in the reign of Henry III. the manor belonged to Edmund, Earl of Lancaster, and subsequently to John of Gaunt. The parish comprises 3419 acres, whereof 1368 are in Ribby with Wrea; it is nearly equally divided between arable and pasture, and is of a flat surface, with views embracing the river Ribble and the Welsh mountains. A branch here diverges to Lytham from the Preston and Fleetwood railway. The manor-house of Wrea Green, erected about sixty years since, is the property of the Hornby family: Shepherd's Farm or Villa, in Wrea hamlet, with 170 acres, is the property of Thomas Birley, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkham, endowed with about 70 acres of land. The church, situated in Ribby, was built about the year 1715, and rebuilt in 1847. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £149. 15. payable to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford, and £34. 5. to the vicar of Kirkham. James Thistleton, in 1693, bequeathed £180 towards the foundation of a school, to which Nicholas Sharples, a native of the township, in 1716 left the residue of his estate, amounting to £850; the income is now about £60 per annum.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 659-665. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51236 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.