Richland Parish, Louisiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Richland Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||September 29, 1868|
|Address|| 708 Julia St.|
Rayville, La. 71269
Richland Parish Courthouse
108 Courthouse Square; PO Box 119;
Rayvillle, LA 71269
Parish Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate,
court and land records from 1869.
Richland parish was organized by an act of the state legislature in 1868, out of Ouachita, Franklin, Carroll and Morehouse parishes.
Rayville was at once selected as the parish seat of justice, and a California plank house was immediately erected to serve for court purposes. This frame building was used for several years, until a substantial two-story brick building was completed. A strong, two-story brick jail also occupied a site beside the courthouse in courthouse square.
The parish has an area of 578 square miles, nearly all of which is susceptible of cultivation, and the remainder is covered with a thick growth of valuable timber, comprising many varieties of oak, hickory, ash, cypress, red gum and many others.
Rayville, Delhi, and Mangham are its only incorporated towns. Delhi and Rayville were incorporated under the act of the statelegislature of 1882.
When Rayville was selected as the site for the seat of justice it was "in the timber." As the parish site it soon grew into a flourishing village and secured a charter of incorporation about 1884. It was visited by a very destructive fire in the fall of 1890, when one-half or more of the business portion of the town was consumed. Again, in 1891, it was visited by a similar disaster.
The first newspaper published in Richland parish was the "Richland Beacon," established at Rayville about 1869 by Thomas J. Mangham. The first sheriff and clerk of the parish was A.J. Lidell and J. Newt Pitts, respectively.
- 1868--Richland Parish was created 29 September 1868 from Ouachita, Carroll (Old), Franklin, and Morehouse Parishes.
Parish seat: Rayville 
See an interactive map of Richland Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Alto, LA
- Archibald, LA
- Delhi, LA
- Dunn, LA
- Holly Ridge, LA
- Mangham, LA
- Rayville, LA
- Start, LA
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|Richland Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Delhi Presbyterian Church, Delhi, LA
- First Baptist Church, Delhi, LA
- First Baptist Church, Rayville, LA
- Mangham Baptist Church, Mangham, LA
- Start Baptist Church, Start, LA
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- Richland Beacon News, Rayville, LA
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Richland Parish GenWeb
- Richland Parish GenWeb Archives
- RichlandRoots.com - Personal Blog on Richland History
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Family History Library Catalog
- Richland Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Richland Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More