Ringley, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
RINGLEY, a chapelry, chiefly in the parish of Prestwich, partly in the union of Bolton and partly in that of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bolton. This chapelry lies in a populous and rich vale, and has excellent coal-mines and good stone-quarries in operation; also a large paper manufactory, two cotton-mills, some works for calico-printing, and bleach-grounds. The river Irwell, the Manchester, Bolton, and Bury canal, a road between Bury and Bolton, and the East Lancashire railway, all run through the chapelry; and at Stoneclough, half a mile distant, is a station on the Bolton and Manchester railway. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rectors of Prestwich, Bury, and Middleton; income, £260, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to Our Saviour, was rebuilt in 1826, at a cost of £1300, and is in the early English style, with a tower: it is situated in the hamlet of Outwood and township of Pilkington. A school was built in 1640 by Nathan Walworth (founder of the chapel), who endowed it with land now producing £46 per annum; and £10 per annum were left in 1750 by Mr. Baguley, for the poor.
 
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 668-671. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51238 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
RINGLEY, a chapelry, chiefly in the parish of Prestwich, partly in the union of Bolton and partly in that of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bolton. This chapelry lies in a populous and rich vale, and has excellent coal-mines and good stone-quarries in operation; also a large paper manufactory, two cotton-mills, some works for calico-printing, and bleach-grounds. The river Irwell, the Manchester, Bolton, and Bury canal, a road between Bury and Bolton, and the East Lancashire railway, all run through the chapelry; and at Stoneclough, half a mile distant, is a station on the Bolton and Manchester railway. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rectors of Prestwich, Bury, and Middleton; income, £260, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to Our Saviour, was rebuilt in 1826, at a cost of £1300, and is in the early English style, with a tower: it is situated in the hamlet of Outwood and township of Pilkington. A school was built in 1640 by Nathan Walworth (founder of the chapel), who endowed it with land now producing £46 per annum; and £10 per annum were left in 1750 by Mr. Baguley, for the poor.
 +
 
 +
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 668-671. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51238 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.  
 +
 
 +
Ringley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1719 from [[Prestwich_St_Mary,_Lancashire]]<br>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 08:44, 20 October 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

RINGLEY, a chapelry, chiefly in the parish of Prestwich, partly in the union of Bolton and partly in that of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bolton. This chapelry lies in a populous and rich vale, and has excellent coal-mines and good stone-quarries in operation; also a large paper manufactory, two cotton-mills, some works for calico-printing, and bleach-grounds. The river Irwell, the Manchester, Bolton, and Bury canal, a road between Bury and Bolton, and the East Lancashire railway, all run through the chapelry; and at Stoneclough, half a mile distant, is a station on the Bolton and Manchester railway. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rectors of Prestwich, Bury, and Middleton; income, £260, with a house. The chapel, dedicated to Our Saviour, was rebuilt in 1826, at a cost of £1300, and is in the early English style, with a tower: it is situated in the hamlet of Outwood and township of Pilkington. A school was built in 1640 by Nathan Walworth (founder of the chapel), who endowed it with land now producing £46 per annum; and £10 per annum were left in 1750 by Mr. Baguley, for the poor.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 668-671. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51238 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.

Ringley is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1719 from Prestwich_St_Mary,_Lancashire

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.