Ripley County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Ripley County Cemeteries and Locations rootsweb
- History of Ripley County Linkpendium
- Ripley County History Book Committee, Ripley County Historical Society (Ripley County, Ind.), and Daughters of the American Revolution. Ripley County History, 1818-1988, Ripley County, Indiana. (Osgood, IN: Ripley County History Book Committee, 1989.) 977.214 H2r FHL US/CAN Book 977.214 H2r v. 2 FHL Collection other libraries
Civil War service men from Ripley County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ripley County.
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company H
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reoganized Company K
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies C, and D
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reoganized Company B
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company B
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company G
- 37th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A, D, and Reorganized Company A
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 68th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, E, and K
- 83rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, E, F, G, and K
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 123rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 156th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Probate records are court records created after an individual’s death that relate to a court’s decisions regarding the distribution of the estate to the heirs or creditors and the care of any dependents. These documents are important to family history researchers because they usually exist for time periods before civil birth and death records were kept. While probate records are one of the most accurate sources of genealogical evidence, they have limitations.
The Circuit Court has responsibility for the probate records of Ripley County.
The following Ripley County probate records have been indexed and transcribed:
- The University of Mary Washington has indexed and transcribed probate inventories for Dearborn, Franklin, and Ripley counties.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Ripley County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).