Roane County, West Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Roane County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
200 Main Street
Spencer, WV 257601497
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, probate, and land records from 1856
- Roane County, West Virginia Government
- Roane County, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
See an interactive map of Roane County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- [Ashley] Ross, Clara Mae. John Thomas Ashley (1838-1923), His Ancestors of Surry County, North Carolina, His Descendants of Roane County, West Virginia, and Related Families. Colfax, N.C., n.d. FHL Collection.
Bishop, William Henry: History of Roane county, West Virginia, from the time of its exploration A.D. 1927
Regiments. Service men in Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Roane County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company G.
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company N (Night Hawk Rangers).
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company C.
- - 30th Battalion, Virginia Sharpshooters (Clarke's) (Confederate). Company F.
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (2nd Kanawha Infantry) (Confederate). Company B (Logan County Wildcats), Company C (Chapmanville Riflemen), Company D (Boone Rangers), Company E (Raleigh Rangers), and Company G (Western Riflemen).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Blue and Gray Trail Roane County, West Virginia
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Roane County, West Virginia Will Books 1857 - 1968
Societies and Libraries
Roane County Historical Society
P O Box 161
Spencer, WV 25276
Roane county Library -census records and more
- Family History Library
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Roane County, West Virginia Families USGENWEB
- Roane County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- National Register of Historic Places Roane County
- Roane County, West Virginia Bridges
- Rhodes families of Roane County, West Virginia
- Roane County, West Virginia Commons
- Roane County, West Virginia enotes
- Biographies - Roane County, West Virginia
- New River Notes Memoirs of Daniel W. Cunningham: The Criminal Histor of Roand and Jackson Counties
- Meadows Family
- Roane County, West Virginia Photos Interesting
- Roane County Library Family Histories
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- ↑ Michael West, 30th Battalion Virginia Sharpshooters (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1995). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 108.
- ↑ J.L. Scott, 36th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 36.